convincing mother to let me get a bigger tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you asked if you could get a 29g or bigger if you agreed to let the two smallest tanks go? Whatever you do, do not sneak and do it. Thats a good way for them to make the rest of your time there at home fishless. If all else fails, just keep saving up your money so that when the time comes to move out, you'll have some money saved up for a nice big tank... That is, if a car doesn't take priority :)

so i have 3 more years of highschool, 4 more of college, and maybe a year after college? so 8 years!?!

ever heard the quote "patience is a virtue" ?

my parents did not even let me have a tank until i get to my senior year of college LOL and i had a above minimum paid job... you are pretty **** lucky IMO, i had a betta in a 3g bowl for over a year before i got my first tank as well,but like i said before, dont be so greedy, give up a couple of your tanks so you can put in a new one, i dont think you know how really lucky you are to have that many tanks at such a young age =P

ive been convincing my parents to get the tank back out (it was stored for about 13 years, my dad got it and then didnt get into it, up to the attic it went) and they finaly let me. i think its just because my moms a clean freak and she thinks a big tank equals mess ;)

but ofcourse my room is always spotless ;) LOL,
here's a great question, whats the advantage of a 29 over a 20 long? dont mst fish not even go that high? aqadvisor says it wouldnt give me any more room : AqAdvisor - jo

put 29 high in instead of 20 long and it still says 101% complete, and any different stocking ideas? this is just kinda what i was thinking.

Well, if it's the same footprint it won't really allow you to stock more fish unless you get a few top dwelling fish like hatchets, or a couple more kulhis for the bottom since it is not very crowded.

Basically in your tank, more water = increased bioload tolerance since there is no footprint increase.

There's two things that are important, swimming space and bioload. Obviously making your tank taller but on the same footprint will give no more swimming space for fish that stay at the same level, but it will increase your bioload tollerance. If you want more fish they'd have to be different level swimmers than the ones you have. e.g. Guppies like to be at the top and IME mollies really go go everywhere!

so the only reall advantage would be more stable water conditions?

30" x 12" x 12" - 20g long

30" x 12" x 18" - 29g

36" x 18" x 12" - 30g breeder

i think if anything, you should get a 30g breeder instead of getting 29g, it is the same length wise, you want really an upgrade if you want to stock more, my advise would be a 30g+ upgrade, dont waste your money on a tank that is almost the same size all around

- Start being early to supper.
- Consolidate tanks. It's always easier to set back up a tank you already have than it is to try to bring another home.
- DO NOT try sneaking it in.

I had it easier because my mom likes fish and had a 38g set up already, but I had to start small and work my way up. I went 3g (birthday present) to 10g (leftover hamster cage) to 20L (another leftover critter cage) to a 29g (free from a friend). I was 8 when I got the 3g and 17 when I got the 29g. I wasn't allowed to have more than one tank going at a time either. You've just got to be patient.

Now I'm 25, graduated from college, married, and in my own house. With the wife's approval, I can put up all the tanks I want. It only took me 16 years to be able to set more than one tank up.

36"L x 12"W x 18"H is a 38g. 36"L x 18"W x 16"H is a 40B. Fish usually appreciate a larger footprint as they swim side to side instead of up and down.

A 29g allows you to stock more fish than a 20L if you do it properly. If you pick groups of fish that swim at different levels, you have an zone in the 29g. The 20L really can only be split into top and bottom. The 29g has a middle zone.

I like this thread lol. I just changed 'mom' to 'wife' and I am going to use some of these tactics.

I like this thread lol. I just changed 'mom' to 'wife' and I am going to use some of these tactics.

Wife should be easier than Mom. Just tell her that another tank will keep you home and out of trouble.

"If I can't have another tank, how about a motorcycle/race car/boat/bulldozer/rocket ship/any other dangerous expensive thing your wife will hate more than another aquarium?"

30" x 12" x 12" - 20g long

30" x 12" x 18" - 29g

36" x 18" x 12" - 30g breeder

i think if anything, you should get a 30g breeder instead of getting 29g, it is the same length wise, you want really an upgrade if you want to stock more, my advise would be a 30g+ upgrade, dont waste your money on a tank that is almost the same size all around

i just dont have the room for a 30g breeder, i will just stick with what ive got and just get more smaller aquariums :)

my mom said i can get another 20 long to replace my one i have now wich is old and falling apart, i will then fix it w/o her knowing and put a small pet or reptile in it :O

i havent been late to dinner for 2 days :D

Also as a mom:
It's great that you're on time for dinner. Offer to set/clean the table, dishes, or whatever and you'd be amazed at all the stuff you will be allowed to have and do.
I agree with all the advice you've been given so far, EXCEPT the not telling her stuff. Don't sneak ANYTHING. Not even a hamster.

GO RAVENS!!

Back
Top Bottom