Cool DOWN tank water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
It is very hot in Massachusetts right now and tank heaters are off. Tank water is 88 matching house temp. I AM putting on AC but until then is it ok to do PWC with COOL water ???

You'll do more harm with the cooler back-to-back water changes than if you let it sit as is until you get the AC going. To what end will cooling it down solve anything when it's going to warm up to your room temperature again?

That said, if you're going to move forward with the water changes, do not cool the tank down more than two or thee degrees with each water change.

David

Point taken... I just figured it was TOO hot. But it did go up from 78* to *85 over a week. So they will fine? Didn't want to cook them

Water Temp

It is very hot in Massachusetts right now and tank heaters are off. Tank water is 88 matching house temp. I AM putting on AC but until then is it ok to do PWC with COOL water ???

Hello b...

I'd have a fan pointing directly at the tank and add an HOB (hang on back) filter too. Oxygen doesn't mix well with warmer water, so you need more aeration. 88 degrees is really too warm for your fish. 83 to 84 is the maximum. Tank water is very tolerable in the 76 to 80 degree range for most fish I've kept. Aquatic plants don't tolerate real warm water very well either.

Your new water can be a few degrees cooler, but no more than 4 or 5 degrees. The new water should be fairly close to that in the tank. I keep pretty hardy fish, so they don't mind if the new water is a bit different temperature.

I've learned water keeping isn't an exact science. There are always alternatives and conflicting opinions.

B

I have a Fluval 406 with outflow diffuser bar, 12" airstone rod, added "oxygen stones", doing PWC everyday to keep O2 up, -- put in AC just now. !

Back
Top Bottom