Coolest fish I've ever got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevindavis1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to a pet store near my house today and got a fish called a rope fish I think it's pretty awesome! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391918314.343211.jpg

Careful, they are predators that grow 3 ft long. They will make a quick snack of most smaller tropical fish species.

Careful, they are predators that grow 3 ft long. They will make a quick snack of most smaller tropical fish species.

Yes I've had a similar experience with the Chinese Algae Eater

One thing you do need to watch out for though is them getting out if your tank, they are notorious escape artists. Make sure there are no gaps they can get out of!!! They ARE really awesome fish to have

This is just not true. They are actually quite timid and can be easily out competed for food.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you.

Understanding the Reedfish | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

TFH magazine said:
The reedfish is largely an indiscriminate eater, consuming virtually every living thing placed before it. Newly arrived captives will eagerly dine on live freshwater shrimp, crickets, worms, insect larvae, and minced bits of fish. Feeder minnows and tiny guppies are also taken with relish. Older captive individuals may be weaned onto pellet foods and tablets, though these items should be soaked in a small dish of water for at least 5 to 10 minutes before offering them.

Reedfish have the tendency to swallow their prey items whole or in large chunks. Hard, rough-edged pellets and tablets can, and often do, induce choking when your fish eats them immediately after you drop them into the tank. Bear in mind also that multi-segmented prey items, such as worms, insects, and whole shrimp, will very likely leave behind body-bits (legs, antennae, body segments, etc.) to pollute the water. Feeding such prey items to your reedfish absolutely necessitates more frequent water changes on your part. Organisms that your reedfish can swallow whole (i.e., minnow, guppies, tiny snails) will leave behind far less biological debris when eaten, thus your aquarium maintenance schedule need not be accelerated. Feed young and growing reedfish small meals twice daily, but feed adult specimens one larger meal only once every two days, or a single smaller meal once per day.

They are usually outcompeted for food you will have to hand feed him for sure. But yes I agree when the lights go off any little fish will be eaten. But what size tank is it in jw.

Yah they will suck on slime coats of other fish and even pull eyes out they will kill fish at least mine did. The only ones he didn't kill was my golden gourami and angelfish.

Yah they will suck on slime coats of other fish and even pull eyes out they will kill fish at least mine did. The only ones he didn't kill was my golden gourami and angelfish.

Oh my life..... I've just added a new topic... 3 of my 4 albino Cory's don't have eyes. Do u think this could be the answer. I've had the eaters for about 4 months

It is possible start up a thread about it with your tank size stock and the Cory's with no eyes as title haha.

They are usually outcompeted for food you will have to hand feed him for sure. But yes I agree when the lights go off any little fish will be eaten. But what size tank is it in jw.

I have him in a 50 gallon tank

Back
Top Bottom