Cooling Fish Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldeenTrix9898

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a planted 5 gallon betta tank. Recently the temperatures where I live have skyrocketed and it's causing my tank temp to rise with it. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, as my tank is kept in an air conditioned room at all times. However, my house has been renovated and there is now no more room in my bedroom, the only room that's always cool, for a fish tank.

This tank is now in the living room, and there is no AC there. The temperature is now always around 85 degrees in the tank. Sometimes it even hits 90. The heater is doing nothing, as I've set it to 75 degrees. I desperately need a way to lower the temp and keep it steady, I can tell that my Betta is stressed, as he's no longer building bubble nests and has taken to hiding under my Anubias nana all the time.

I am a high school student and cannot afford a chiller. Is there anyway to help my fish?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your room is the only one in the house with AC? It's a 5 gallon tank. You could even put it on the floor somewhere in your room for the summer. Maybe get bags of ice and place them next to your tank. But if I were you, I would try to find a spot for it in one of the air conditioned rooms.

Small water changes with cooler water twice a day if u can.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get some plastic bottles, with water in them. Put in freezer till frozen. Float one in the tank to cool. Or get a fan and blow it across the top of the tank for evaporative cooling.

Your room is the only one in the house with AC? It's a 5 gallon tank. You could even put it on the floor somewhere in your room for the summer. Maybe get bags of ice and place them next to your tank. But if I were you, I would try to find a spot for it in one of the air conditioned rooms.

I live in HK, the houses here are very small. There is literally no room, as my grandparents are moving in. The floor is a no go. I have a little sister, she could easily mess with the tank if it's on the ground. The only place I can keep both the fish tank and the supplies is the living room. Which happens to have a broken AC that never got fixed.

Last year my tank temps were really getting up there so I took a small computer box fan and mounted it in so it blew directly across the top of the water. Worked really well getting temp back to a normal level.

Last year my tank temps were really getting up there so I took a small computer box fan and mounted it in so it blew directly across the top of the water. Worked really well getting temp back to a normal level.

Hmmm, here they sell these small portable fans, I've been thinking about getting one to cool off. I might just go and get two and tie them to the light on the fish tank.

I live in HK, the houses here are very small. There is literally no room, as my grandparents are moving in. The floor is a no go. I have a little sister, she could easily mess with the tank if it's on the ground. The only place I can keep both the fish tank and the supplies is the living room. Which happens to have a broken AC that never got fixed.

I see. The frozen bottle idea sounds good. I would try that.

Hmmm, here they sell these small portable fans, I've been thinking about getting one to cool off. I might just go and get two and tie them to the light on the fish tank.

It doesnt take much , a small clip on type fan that someone would use at their desk or something like that is all you need. Might want to run it independent of the light so it can also rum when light is off. I used the computer type fan because the price was right , Free! They are a little noisy so I just had to deal with that , no biggie.

I am following this thread for ideas. I also have this problem, but my tank is 75 gallons.

A mid day water change with, cooler water, would help immensely. Mid day because youd be cooling at its maximum heat level outside. And by the time it could warm up again the sun shld be heading away from its apex. You can also try to up your surface agitation. I havent had this issue, so its just my humble opinion.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My bf had this problem. Turn the lights out and take the tank lid off. If you're afraid of him jumping out you can lower the water level. The lid makes it a hot box. Put a fan near the tank and float bags of ice. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My bad. Didn't see the live plant thing. Maybe Crack open the top then. And set it on sideways so there is still air getting to it but your plants are still getting light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom