Cooling water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently noticed my fish were gasping at the top of the water, I tested and everything is fine then somebody suggested that the temp was too high. Until today id just gone on my heaters thermosat which was set to around 74 but today I invested in an actual thermometer and to my surprise found that my tank is in the mid to high 80s! So obviously I've gotta start cooling the tank down, just wondering how quickly I can do it without shocking the fish? I'm just planning on turning the heater down a degree at a time.

You can safely do 2 degrees every 12 hours. It'll depend on the air temp where the tank is as to how fast it'll actually come down though.

When I last treated for Ich, I would bump the heater up 2deg before work, then another 2 deg before bed - so 4 deg/day effectively and had no issues.

Ok thanks, what temp would you recommend for a community of mollies, guppies, neons and plecs?

I have the same type of fish in my 29 gallon tank (other than the pleco) and keep it at 78 degrees. At that temp my heater is completely off (my house's t-stat is set to 78).

If your fish are gasping at the top you may want to lower your water level so that the filter is splashing at the top of the water or add a bubbler to increase oxygen in the water.

All my tanks are at 82 right now because we can't turn our heating off. No gasping in mine, so I would advise either lowering the water level or putting an airstone in because the heat shouldn't be as much of an issue as the apparent lack of oxygen caused by it.

Yeah I was wanting an airstone coz they look cool so I suppose that would kill 2 birds etc

The airstones also help with cooling (as long as the air is cooler than the water).

Back
Top Bottom