Corey's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ForumRunner_20121103_203959.jpg

Today i went to petsmart to get like 5 Corey's to help clean up left over food in my 15g betta tank. When i got ther the julia's were only 1$ i ended up with 8. Is 8 to many for a 15 only other tank mate is the betta. If 8 is to many i can take a cpl out and add to my daughters Corey's.

Edit the tank is a 30g lg but i have a divider in to watch there health for a couple days so i sudda worded it will they b ok for like a week in the 15

I'd say 15G is too small for 1 Julii Cory let alone 8. Geez $1 is cheap though

It says they only get 2 inches my daughter has a 45g with just coreys so moving them to a bigger tank not a big deal

And i think one would be fine in a 15g if they didnt need schools. And its actully a 30g long but i have it split in two. So 15 each side

No worries i put the betta on the other side of the divider so i can keep an eye on them for a couple of days..once i know they are healthy ill take the divider down.i sudda put this in the first post. I do have a filter n heater on each side

Corys don't school they shoal. I had three in a ten gallon and they were great, they had plenty of floor space and had shown every sign of being completely happy fish. They were the only fish in the tank besides fry then I upgraded them to a 20l and added another to their group. That being said I do think 8 is way too many for a 15, although their bioload may be fine for that tank the thing you have to know is that they are substrate foraging fish and having a 15g isn't much more footprint than a ten.(unless you have an odd shaped tank). I would personally cut back your shoal to 4 then either return the other half or put them into your daughters tank. How many does she have in that one?

Corydoras

View attachment 129449

Today i went to petsmart to get like 5 Corey's to help clean up left over food in my 15g betta tank. When i got ther the julia's were only 1$ i ended up with 8. Is 8 to many for a 15 only other tank mate is the betta. If 8 is to many i can take a cpl out and add to my daughters Corey's.

Edit the tank is a 30g lg but i have a divider in to watch there health for a couple days so i sudda worded it will they b ok for like a week in the 15

Hello J...

A 15 G tank area is too small for Corydoras. The species, regardless of size, are foragers. This means they need larger areas to search the bottom for food. The standard for Corys is one for every 5 gallons of tank volume and they're most comfortable in a shoal or group of 5. A few more is even better.

I've kept these fish for several years and the smallest tank I've kept them is a 30 G and had 5 of the smaller species. Now, I keep them in a minimum of a 45 G. They're happiest when they have a lot of room.

Good luck with the small tank. I could never keep the chemistry stable in cubes of water so small.

B

It looks like the tank is a 30 and he just split the tank to quarantine them. The other side is currently housing the betta.

Coco1019 said:
It looks like the tank is a 30 and he just split the tank to quarantine them. The other side is currently housing the betta.

Wow, for some reason I completely missed that post. Haha I was tired I guess

Ok guys sorry my 10 yr old decided to get on my tablet. They are being kept in a 30 split in half till i know they are ok to be with my betta the tank actully hold 33g of water. The divider will be taken out as soon as they are cleared. they are mostly wanting to cheek out the betta bc at some times they all line up at the divider and just watch the betta than the scatter when he comes close to the divider. But i also did this to see if my betta would flare at them or just leave them alone. And so far no flaring but iknow ill have watch closely when i remove the divider. My daughter just wanted to have some for her tank bc she dnt have any juilas in her corey tank. But if 8 is to many than i will give her 2-3 of them for hers

Zimmanski said:
Corys don't school they shoal. I had three in a ten gallon and they were great, they had plenty of floor space and had shown every sign of being completely happy fish. They were the only fish in the tank besides fry then I upgraded them to a 20l and added another to their group. That being said I do think 8 is way too many for a 15, although their bioload may be fine for that tank the thing you have to know is that they are substrate foraging fish and having a 15g isn't much more footprint than a ten.(unless you have an odd shaped tank). I would personally cut back your shoal to 4 then either return the other half or put them into your daughters tank. How many does she have in that one?

She has 7 in hers and its a 45

Turning on the light this morning to cheek on them and the lil red they had showing by there gills is all gone :) i had 1 die im gunna return it and when they ask for my water sample im gunna ask for theres they only use strips i wanna test ammiona level of these guys old tank :-(

Back
Top Bottom