cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi guys,
this is just a general enquiry, not buying more fish myself at the mo...
do different types of cories school together or do they keep to their particular species?

When I had some albinos and peppered cories they would not school together. They each hung out in their own side of the tank. They would intermingle every once in a while but that was about it.

My experience is that different types of cories do not school together. In my 55 gal, I started with two peppered, one albino, and one emerald green. The peppereds always schooled, but the other two seemed lonely. Sadly, the albino died a few months ago and I replaced it with another peppered. So now, the three peppereds school and the emerald green still looks lonely. I wish I had gotten all the same type.

I have
peppereds,greens,pygmy and albinos, they do EVERYTHING together, even spawn. Its quite humorous, it looks weird seeing the different species try and breed together.

crazy.
I wonder if it makes a difference how/in what order you introduce them into the tank?!

In my case the albinos were in for a year or more then I added four peppered. The albinos were quite a bit larger than the peppers so that could be part of the reason they didn't school together.

wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corydoras
They are often seen in shoals. Most species prefer being in groups and many species are found in schools or aggregations of hundreds or even thousands of individuals, usually of a single species, but occasionally with other species mixed in. Unlike most catfishes which are nocturnal, Corydoras species are active during the daytime.

ive seen several species schooling together in different aquariums... i suppose it just depends on the personality of each fish?

My brother has a school of cories that has three or four different species in it. I think they're mostly smaller species. I've got a dozen panda cories, six long-fins, six regular, and they rest in piles, but other than that, they're kind of all over the tank.

haha yeah, my pygmy cories sleep/rest in a bit of a pile, or sometimes a line - looks so cute/amusing!

corys and cover

One thing that hasn't been touched on much is the environment...
My 40B tank has a number of mid-level swimmers, as well as albino bristlenose (2 females, they avoid each other), 5 panda corys, 2 older corys (can't recall the name--a bit bigger than peppered ones) and 4 peppered corys.
I have a heavily planted tank with lots of bogwood and cover. In this tank the corys prefer their own kind, but very often go off on their own to explore, scrounge. They also mix and match with a lot of variety, the bristlenose joining with them only on some feeding occasions (and seeming to tolerate, rather than like, the company).
They shoal most when I am intruding for some reason, then they congregate together except for the bristlenose. I suspect the abundant cover decreases the instinct to shoal heavily.
JD:D

They pile together in a driftwood cavern and forage the tank together.

I had 6 peppered corydora at first for about a year, they were rather large,still are then I added 6 more, lost 1 for a total of 11, a year and a half later I have a total of 28 corydoras, 11 peppered, 6 albino, 6 greens,5 pygmy.
they do quite well together but its a heavily planted amazon tank with blackwater and more then enough SA tank mates from angels,rams and curviceps to neons.

I think it depends on the fish themselves, their order of things and their overall environment. fish that feel "safe" scatter around, but ones that have the naturally larger fish there tend to school up.

Back
Top Bottom