Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

novaheat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of deciding which cories to purchase. Are there any major differences between the types other than appearance?

Thanks everyone for answering questions. They seem to keep coming. Learning is one reason I started the aquarium. I have been able to find some answers by doing searches. Some searches bring back too many replies, like the term cories. I think it is picking up everyone that has listed cories as being in their tank.

NovaHeat

I have 4 green and gold cories. They are sort of a bronze-y colour. The only reason I got those was because that's the only ones the store had. I think they look cool :) As to differences, I don't actually know.

I am in the process of deciding which cories to purchase. Are there any major differences between the types other than appearance?
NovaHeat

The commonly available cories all typically require the same conditions and are very forgiving. They are more sensitive to NTS (ammonia poisoning) than a lot of fish. In the typical tropical tank, they should be fine as long as it is cycled and maintained properly.

Sterbais are tougher to find, but do require higher temps than most other fish will appreciate.

I have 4 green and gold cories. They are sort of a bronze-y colour. The only reason I got those was because that's the only ones the store had. I think they look cool :) As to differences, I don't actually know.

Bronze cories.... corydoras aeneus. One of my favorites and pretty easy to get to breed! :)

Is you tank substrate sand or aquarium gravel? One thing to remember about cories is that they have sensitive little "whiskers" (barbels) that they use to root around for food laying on the bottom - and if your gravel has too many sharp edges - they can injure those barbels and possibly get infections.

As far as this fish themselves - they're all pretty much the same in that they like to eat off the bottom and they love being in big groups. The group of cories you get doesn't have to be all the same color pattern, but they do tend to hang out more with their own type.

Just make sure you have room for a whole gang of them, cause they get lonely without a posse to play with.

I have gravel, looks more like small pebbles on the top layer. Two different kinds of gravel. I have a 120 gallon that I am just beginning to stock. They should have plenty of room. I will be adding some otos later. The tank will be a tropical community tank.

Thanks,

I like panda and julii cories. They're reasonably priced and a lot of fun to watch.

Gravel is acceptable as long as it's not sharp. Roll some of the gravel between your palms and feel for sharp points. I do have to say that my cories love the sand. You could always add a sandbox for them to play in.

I have gravel, and I read how cories liked sand more, so I'm actually going to create a small "sandbox" just for them :)

And novaheat: After getting some helpful replies and some nice people I've decided to stick around and maybe just PM those people some more. Thank you :)

There's a thread on here somewhere about building a sandbox for cories. At first I thought it was funny to build a sandbox for fish, but the OP showed that his cories spent a lot of time digging in the sandbox and you can't argue with results.

I have posted links here referring to another post. Some forums require a Moderator to approve the link.

NovaHeat

I have two kinds, paleatus ('peppered') and Sterbai (named after a biologist named Sterba). The first kind are very prolific, which may be why they show up so often in fish stores. The Sterbais are rarer, and tamer (but I only have two of those). Neither kind has had any problem with the gravel I've used in the tanks.

I ended up with the Peppered Cories. I was interested in Julies but the LFS does not carry them. I talked to a couple of guys at the LFS due to concerns about my gravel and both of them have cories with the same kind of gravel I am using. I will have to empty the tank to move it next summer, replacing flooring. I may switch to sand then. I will being doing more research before deciding.

Thanks,
NovaHeat

Back
Top Bottom