Cories - do they like LOTS of swimming space ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
i setup my tank with lots of plants.

but the problem is - the plants tank up space -
this reduces the swimming space on the bottom.

what do u think??

I have a planted tank, 15gal tall. Very little room to swim on the bottom. When my fish want to swim they to laps to the top of the aquarium. They find room to swim :)

Angels do need some open spaces. They like to have plants around makes them feel safer I guess, but they do need some swimming room.

If you'll watch corys, when they really wanna do some serious swimming, they'll go to the top and run back and forth the length of the tank and from top to bottom. This has been called The Cory Dance.

Corys feed on the bottom, but will swim more near the top.

What size is your tank ?

Dave

Angels love to swim, they just do it at a much slower pace and with grace. (yeah I know it rhymed). :lol:

Like Rich said, DO NOT put an angel in a 10 gal.

Personally, if I wanted to keep corys, I'd step up to at least a 29 gal. You can actually get everything you need in one package at Wally World fairly inexpensively.

I just moved 4 corys from a 29 to a 90 gal and they act like they're in the Olympics now :)

Thx,

Dave

IMHO a 10 gal tank is a very small habitat for Cories... Too small, when you know that they prefer to be in a shoal of atleast 3 fish preferably 5+.

Anyways I digress from the question from the main question.

My answer is "No."

"Why?"
IMHO if you really want your Cories to be happy you'll want them to have lots of fine substrate to sift through, plenty of little caves and hidey holes and lots of friends. By friends I mean Cories of the same type, e.g. Pandas ect, they seem to interact better in type specific shoals. Shoals of atleast five (5) fish preferably more, the more the merrier, more fun to watch!
To meet these needs you need a larger tank.
Your 10gal tank is do'able for perhaps three (3) Cories if care is taken, but it is very much on the small side.

Back
Top Bottom