Correct GPM Flow rate in a 200 Gal Cichlid tank - & HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MelindaReichert

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 200 gal tank that houses a community of South & Central American Cichlids (with others) is running a wet/dry system with biobale (used to be a general salt community in a former life)

Little Giant pump (3-MDQ-SC) that came with it died and I used my Rio 2500 submersible in sump until I got a new pump

OK so I got a Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC with a flow of about 1150 GPM
(or so) for a GREAT price :D Yeah for me - BUT... it is sucking my sump dry before my siphon box returns the flow.
I have 3 overflow tubes on it already and it still can't keep up!
I have a powerhead in the other corner to keep circulation going on the opposite side from the sump return.

MY Questions:
1. Is it better to have a bigger (more efficient) overflow syphon box (with better flow) to keep up with the pump?
OR
2. Is it OK to lessen return flow on pump with ball valve??? Will that hurt pump? Where do you place the valve?

3. What is proper flow for my fresh community - I don't want to create a
total spillway action for them to get exhausted just swimming around, ya know? I mean, I'm not running a massive reef tank, for goodness sakes! :lol:

All fish seem fine and have been fine for months even after the big pump died.

Thanks to all!!! I am so glad I was able to find this site!!!
Love From Texas!

Re: Correct GPM Flow rate in a 200 Gal Cichlid tank - &

MelindaReichert said:
OK so I got a Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC with a flow of about 1150 GPM

I'm hopin you meant GPH! otherwise you'd be running your own indoor water park :)

... it is sucking my sump dry before my siphon box returns the flow. I have 3 overflow tubes on it already and it still can't keep up!

sounds like the drain on your overflow is the culprit. what diameter are the drain(s), and are you using hose (tubing) or pipe.

1. Is it better to have a bigger (more efficient) overflow syphon box (with better flow) to keep up with the pump?
OR
2. Is it OK to lessen return flow on pump with ball valve??? Will that hurt pump?

I think for freshwater, you are fine with 3 to 5x turnover in your tank but more certainly won't hurt.

A bigger overflow is what you need, possibly one with a pair of 1.5" drains and a trio of 1.5" siphons. If you're going to buy vs build, avoid the CPR brand, their overflow requires an electric pump to stay primed - not a good thing for power failures while on vacation!

Where do you place the valve?

As for placing the valve, put it inline with your return hose / pipe, after the pump. Anything less than 75% off should be fine for most any pump.

3. What is proper flow for my fresh community - I don't want to create a total spillway action for them to get exhausted just swimming around, ya know?

Nearly all fish enjoy and require a good current - helps them stay in shape and maintain healthy muscles. look into pair of "spray bar" running along both of your tanks side walls, about 1/4 way down. this should create good water movement without making it a whirlpool!

lol - GPH - Yes! Thanks! Schitterbahn we are not!
Thanks so much for the quick reply!!!

I have one drain - hose tubing- 1 inch, I think ! :?
It is also loud enough to wake the dead! Tight fit under the tank with wet/dry I have now (my husband bought the whole set up from a guy already running it as salt) Would hard piping it be better???

Glad you warned about "CPR" brand - saw that one already - any other brands you (or anyone) would suggest? Not that I couldn't build it myself - just don't have the time and supplies!!!! :p

SO that 1150 would be OK! Where do I get the return wands - Spray Bars! Those I could make - I bet - Just a Y union at the return and two small pipes flute drilled, right?

Anyone out there with plans for that????

Thanks so much Again!!! 8)

love from Texas,

MelindaReichert said:
I have one drain - hose tubing- 1 inch, I think ! :?
It is also loud enough to wake the dead!

Yup, there's your culprit ... *crossed fingers* - maybe you have "room" enough in your existing overflow to ream the hole larger, to upgrade from a 1" bulkhead to a 1.5" bulkhead... would be a great time and money saver if possible. I'd need to see pics and measurements of your overflow to be 100% sure that were possible though.

Would hard piping it be better???
Hard plumbing is the best, put sometimes the aggrevation of installing it isn't worth the added flow. On the other hand, if you upgrade to a 1.5" drain, hoses ends getting equally difficult to work with.

Glad you warned about "CPR" brand - saw that one already - any other brands you (or anyone) would suggest?

The only brand I've used is DIY Brand *wink* ... perhaps a post in the sw general forum would get you some insight on overflow brands - all I know is I don't like CPR's design!

Not that I couldn't build it myself - just don't have the time and supplies!!!!

I hear you here ... I've had the supplies for my latest overflow lying on my dinning room table for a month now - just started putting it together yesterday. The hardest thing about diy overflow's (or anything acrylic) is finding the right glue - once you've got that, the rest is easy!

Where do I get the return wands - Spray Bars! Those I could make - I bet - Just a Y union at the return and two small pipes flute drilled, right?

for my spray bars, I like 1/2" CPVC (the yellowish stuff). I take a length and flute drill it like you put, and cap one end, and on the other end, usually a few elbows to make a "hook" for over the side of the tank, and a pipe to thread fitting and a hose barb fitting. I'll take some pics of one for you if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom