Correct Readings on Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a barrel outside with water lilies in it, along with some goldfish. I measured the water and saw it had nearly no bioload on it after a week. I took the water from the top of the barrel with a syringe. Is it possible that this is an inaccurate reading if I took the water from one spot in this barrel that is not circulated other than the fish which swim around the barrel?

I'm not so sure about whether water needs to circulate in order to even out the chemicals inside it. I'm thinking that maybe the lilies have something to do with your lack of any appreciable readings. They could well be nutrient hogs.

I think the nitrogen compounds would diffuse rapidly enough that your reading at the top would be just fine. Unless there was one big point source at the bottom, and no fish swimming around, I can't imagine any real gradient being established even for a short period of time.. Temp readings will probably be different from the bottom and top, but I think Jchillin is right about the lillies filtering your water for you.

I like the idea. Do you live somewhere where they can stay out year round, or will you have to pull them in for the winter?

I'll agree...nitrates are most probably being consumed by the lillies as quickly as the are generated.

Top or bottom should test the same with even the slightest gentle agitation (fish swimming) imo.

I kind of figured the lilies had something to do with it, especially since they grow 2-3 inches every day on each stem. I live on the coast of Southern California, so I hope I can have the lilies growing year round. I'll have to see come winter time.

Back
Top Bottom