cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amitnarain

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have small parrots and comets (2 each).

i am looking for keeping creatures that may control algae in my tank.

i dont really like plecos coz i think they are ugly. actually they ARE ugly.

so i was hoping that i could put in some cory. can i? will it control algae in my tank?

btw is cory, corycat, corydora the same thing?

yeah...they are all the same

no they wont control algae basically they keep the bottom of your tank clean, when you feed any extra food that makes it to the bottom they will gobble up no problem, i would recommend getting at least 3 of them because they are more comfortable in a school together

what size is your tank and what kind of parrots do you mean, Parrot Cichild or a Blood Parrot Fish?

and i would recommend some Otocinclus' they only get to 2" and do a great job with diatom algae if thats your problem

15 gallons. i think they are bp fish but not sure.

plz do not remind me of my small tank size coz its temporary

My main concern is that you have cold water fish and tropical fish in the same tank (other then the tank is too small but you can always get bigger and more tanks!! :mrgreen: )
I really cant advise any fish for your little tank.. now if you could explain the setups that these fish will be in once they are moved from the 10gallon tank, then I could think of what could go in the size and type of tank.. (american flag-fish are good algae eaters and are cold water fish) would be an example..

hey mine is 15 gallon. :roll: actually i live in a tropical region and the water is constantly 20+ degrees celcius (i.e. 69+ degrees farenheit). so i never use a heater and i keep comets with parrots in that water. what can i get for my 15 g and what fish (i dont really want them to end up in the belly of the beasts :) ).

btw do flying fox really not eat algae (i mean the non-siamese one). are they really completely worthless :?:

I love my albino corydoras. However I wouldn't purchase them for the purpose of controlling algae. They're good for getting any leftover food that hits the bottem though.

I read in one of your previous posts that you now have salt in your tank. Be careful adding any scaleless fish (including corys) to a tank with salt. They generally have trouble tolerating salt.

For a 15gal maybe two big algae-eating snails could do the trick. or maybe algae eating shrimp for something different.

Back
Top Bottom