Cory & betta community update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dear_iinsanity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I put 3 leopard corys in with my VT betta in my 3 gallon tank last night, which I was very hesitant to do considering the size of my tank...but I went ahead with it anyway.

At first my betta was a little aggressive towards them, they didn't move around much and stayed at the bottom in a corner for most of the night. I fed them and they ate, then became a little more active. Still remained at the bottom for the night.

This morning same thing, still at the bottom, in and out of the rock cave, fed them before I left for work and they seemed alright.

Came home from work today, they were still alive thank god, and my betta seems to be fine with them. He's actually swimming around with them and seems to enjoy their company.

Tonight the corys are swimming all over, up to the top and all over the tank. I'm so happy this worked out!!

Attachments

• image-3141794069.jpg
    image-3141794069.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2254918157.jpg
    image-2254918157.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 58
  • image-4025631353.jpg
    image-4025631353.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 65
Don't want to sound like the party pooper here but a 3g tank is barely big enough for a betta and definitely not for 3 cory cats.

Don't want to sound like the party pooper here but a 3g tank is barely big enough for a betta and definitely not for 3 cory cats.

What am I in danger of by doing this? I'm a new aquarist so any advice is welcomed.

Small bodies of water are much harder to keep clean and the water parameters stable. The water can become polluted very quickly. If you Google a certain type of fish before buying it you will be able to see what is the minimum size tank they need and other important factors for keeping that type of fish. Cory's need much larger tanks and even without taking that into consideration the bioload for the Betta and 3 cories is much too high for that tank. If possible I would suggest taking the Cory's back or getting a much larger tank if you can afford one.

What am I in danger of by doing this? I'm a new aquarist so any advice is welcomed.

Your in danger of stunting the fish. This is when the organs keep growing inside the body but the body doesn't grow. Results in extremely premature deaths, this being said I have witnessed a bala shark grow to 7 or 8 inches in a 20g but everytime I went to his house he was doing a water change. So back to water quality. Its a lot harder to keep a small body of water stable and in good parameters. This is also a big factor in stunting a fish. Which is why my friend always did the water change.

Your fish will likely be dead within a month in that tank size sorry. The issues will be stunting, whether or not there is enough area for sufficient nitrAte bacteria to be generated and ultimately high nitrAtes due to small tank size.

In addition the small tank size makes water changes dangerous and difficult and due to the stocking would need to be done frequently.

Back
Top Bottom