Cory Cat Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 3 bronze aeneus cory cats and I just had a question about one of the things they do. From time to time they will just shoot up to the top of the waters surface then go back down .... i thought it might be cause i dont have a lot of O2 in the water but i have a bubble stone and wall and the filter trickles down casuing O2 also ... so i was just wondering if anyone else had cory cats that do the same thing? I like these guys alot and they always hang out together and keep my gravel clean and are the only ones beside my zebras to survive the Ich. TIA

Ray

mine do that too

i'm pretty sure they do it for a quick gasp of air, but it doesn't mean that there's low oxygen in your tank

whew ... i thought it was common for em to do it .... but i was just making sure :)
... thanks guys
Ray

They might be since cories can swallow air and absorb oxygen through there intestines alothough I think they more or less do it because there bored or looking for food.

As far as I knew cory cats have labrynth organs anyhow and sometimes i think it's funny when one chases the other one up there and you hear this big splash :D

Nah, the mad rush to the surface isn't wierd. Wait until you see one dash up to the top then flip over and fall back down like it's dead. A minute later it might even fart then swim off happy as can be...

Cories can definately be high on the weird scale when they want to be.

When my java moss was nice and thick, the funny thing that would happen is when my julii cory rocketed to the surface, on the way back down he'd hit a wall of java moss, lol. Was funny watching him try to get through. Eventually would give up and go around to the back side and under, lol.

My largest is a "middle swimmer" 50% of the time...just up and down all over the front glass,back and forth ect.

He too makes the mad dash to the top...fast when he does it too.

Back
Top Bottom