Cory Cat Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright i have 5 cory cats in my 29 gallon tank along with a sun catfish and 6 diamond tetras. The diamond tetras seem to eat all the food before any get to my corys. Does any one know a good type of sinking food?

I feed my corydoras the algae sinking tablets, frozen bloodworms and carnivore sinking pellets.
Their colours are amazing and a few new sickly looking ones perked up after a few days of this varied diet!!

since corys arent algae eaters, i wouldnt recommend algae wafers. any kind of sinking pellets will work. i throw 4 of my small cichlid pellets in every other day for mine

Mine love algae tablets, and oddly enough, betta bites. The betta bites sink if you drop them from about a foot above the tank. The cories go NUTS over those.

Okay i do have betta bites and i will try that today, i will also try to get some live food. Thank you!

Get some shrimp/carnivore sinking pellets too....if you read up it says algae tabs wont be sufficient!
They are omnivores, needing both veggies and meat in their diet! :)

Yeah sorry i was skimming throught the responses. It should be fixed now.

Varied diets are always preferrable but algae wafers have a large amount of protein in them (my Hikari algae wafers for example are minimum 1/3 protein). This would be sufficient as a sole source of food but cory's (if the substrate is right) are fantastic at filtering out all of the left over food and micro-flora/fauna attached to the substrate.

Anyone with cory's IMO should have a substrate similar to pool filter sand (PFS). It is a riot to watch them gobble up a chunk of PFS and shoot it out the gill area as they "filter feed". I don't feed them anything in my main community tank and they are fantastically healthy from all the leftovers(note: I only have 1 cory at the moment... I plan to add some friends once it gets warmer and can cull my overstocked tank of platy/guppy).

Okay and i have gravel but i do notice that no foods that flote to the bottem or left behind will be picked up by the corys and i always make sure some food floats to the bottem for them.

Okay and i have gravel but i do notice that no foods that flote to the bottem or left behind will be picked up by the corys and i always make sure some food floats to the bottem for them.

Interesting....is it that they are shy around you/other fish? My cory is the oldest fish in my tank (going on 4+ years now) and is still scared of the sight of me. If I catch it out in the open and it see's me it just freezes in place watching. If I get too close it darts away hiding behind a plant. When I feed the tank I make sure to quickly sit back a couple feet from the tank and don't move. If I do that he'll come out and start rummaging around for food. If I stay near the tank he doesn't get any as the other fish gobble it all up.

They are strange little buggers for sure!

just give them time, it'll all be eaten eventually. My cories are shy some of the time, except when they're really hungry. Probably because I netted up a few of them after a feeding ;0

Yeah they are scared of me too but now that the angel fish have settled down all the fish have been chill. Except for my diamonds, they seem like they are on some type of caffine all the time. So any way now that all of the fish have settled down the corys have started eating the food that falls to the bottem. (Thank God) but i am still trying to get some live food for then as a treat sort of, and i am also trying to set up another tank for my sun catfish and my pleco along with some mollys or platys.

Back
Top Bottom