Cory Catch '06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ineubis

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I just got 4 clown loaches on Saturday, and decided I would give my 2 peppered corys to my bro, as I don't need THAT many catfish...

I have a 65H tank which is 24 5/8 inches tall. I'm 5' 11" which means, even with the net, I'm up to my elbows in the tank, making a huge mess, trying to catch these darn corys...

Caught one right away, and spent another FIFTEEN MINUTES trying to catch the other one... :lol:

I wasn't about to rip plants and caves out to apprehend him. I knocked over a bunch of decorations, and ticked off the rest of my fish in the process.

A word of advice:

Never underesitmate a 1" long, cute, little cory cat...

They are the devil!

heh... :lol:

Haha...sorry I shouldn't laugh. But I know how you feel, except my experience was with some 2 inch yoyo loaches. I bought a few to eat snails in my 10g...then they moved to the 55g after a few weeks. A 10g is small, but it still took me 30-45 mins to catch all 3 of them. I uprooted just about every plant in the tank. I had water everywhere and was extremely frustrated. I finally got them though. I'll never move them to a different tank again.

The smaller fish are faster though...especially cories.

You can never have too many catfish. Try the fish trap thing. Also try a big net. I use a huge net that's prob 6 or 8 inches across to catch all my fish.

heh. Yea, I got back in town last night and decided to do some moving around of fish between my two 20g and my 55g (turning the two 20's into my trpoical communities, and the 55 into a large fish tank (angels, loaches, GBR's, and some other larger catfish))

The only reason we caught our emerald cories so fast was because we were doing a water change in the tank they were in, and caught them while the water level was low. There were three peppered cories in there as well, and we thought we had all three, but turned out one found a really good hiding spot in the back of the tank, and it took us about 15 minutes to find him, and another 5 to catch him.

I found using two nets helps a lot (one to chase around, and one to catch). I robably would have never caught my black neons last night if it weren't for that method.

hsherman1986 said:
one found a really good hiding spot in the back of the tank, and it took us about 15 minutes to find him, and another 5 to catch him.

heh...yeah, that's basically how it went for me. I have a multi-level cave structure with one vertical wall touching the glass at the top, but not at the bottom, and he wedged himself in the small crack inbetween the rock and the glass...took me a good 10 mins to find him, then he hauled tail into large hollow piece of driftwood, where my loaches were hiding.

Flushed him out of there and made the catch :)

If I were more patient, I would have waited until doing a cleaning/water change, and removed all the obstacles...but that's no fun :p

well, a water change was needed anyway, and we planned on moving everyone around when we got back..so it just worked out that way. My mom was left to care for the fish, but she failed to let me know that my filter in that 20g went out, so I came home to really cloudy water, a filter that was plugged in, but not running, and a dead GBR :(

We decided to do a water change and clean out the filter (it is running again now, it was just really clogged) and while the water level was low, I decided to go ahead and start moving everyone around.

We actually just finished putting everyone where we want them for now, and I think we may be going to the lfs to pick up some more neons and another CAE here in a little bit

one thing, a good way to catch fish is using two nets, one of them being a large green one that will be held stationary. the other net (white or blue or any bright color) will be the one "persuading" the fish in.

Back
Top Bottom