Cory catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nnacho528

Aquarium Advice Regular
As of now, I know NOTHING about cories. All that i know is that they are bottom feeders. And I've learned that most websites are wrong, so i turn to you guys. Plz tell me everything you know about cories! (Thx so much in advance) I would also like to know if u personally like them and if i should include them in a 40 gallon tank. thx! :)

Just added 5 emeralds to my 20g last week and love them!!
What else you have in there is a must know, but they are pretty versatile fish and a great addition to a community tank.

I love my cories (two peppered) and can't wait to add more so they feel nice and safe in school - thats my only tip make sure you get enough of them people say anything between 3-6 for a good group

Depends on the cories. Usually the most common ones get around 2-3 inches, they love schools (I always recommend 6 minimum), will do awesome in 30 gallon tanks or bigger since there is lots of room for them, and are very very active and personable. Hope that helped you out :)

Im considering a 40 gallon and I dedinently want keep them in a school of at least 7. Should I get soft gravel? The other fish in the tank would be a pearl gourami, 2 mollies, 1 swordtail, 2 h and t light tetras ( goin to bumb up school) , 8 danios and 8 neon tetras. Would that be overatocked?

Personally, I have never had any sort of issue with keeping corys on the regular aquarium gravel. No barbel injuries or scrapes or anything like that, so I think gravel is fine.
Behavior-wise, that stock should be fine. What stock you can have also depends on your filtration too.

Thanks, is there a common pH, hardness, salinity, and temp that i can make sure my tank has with these fish in it?

There shouldn't be a salinity, it is freshwater.

Chemistry should be stable and high quality. Don't get caught up on pH, hardness, etc. Focus on the quality of the food and water.

I agree that gravel is not a problem for cories. However, I have found sand to be a far superior substrate. It is cleaner, more natural, and lower maintenance.

Ok i meant that i usuaally but a tablespoon of salt into my freshwater tank. What temp should the tank be around, i was thinking like 77 F

don't do salt with cories, im pretty sure they don't have scales thus salt is a no no.

(someone correct me if im wrong)

Don't add SALT to a FRESHwater tank. It is not needed.

1-Cories have scales, very thick scales actually. The idea that scalation has anything to do with salt or med sensitivity is wrong because salt and meds mainly get in through the gills, not the skin. IF scalation had anything to do with it cories and plecoes would be extra resistant to it since they have thicker scales. IME cories/plecoes, and loaches/eels are not extra sensitive to salt or most meds. If you get some wild caught cories then maybe.

2-Petsmart salts all their tanks all the time and they carry all of these fish, so they are obviously not any more sensitive to it.

This doesn't mean it is okay, just that they can handle it when needed. But since we are talking about FRESHwater tanks you should not be adding any salt unless the fish are stressed. So have it on hand in case something comes up, but don't add it all the time.

77-79F would be fine. Some Amazonian fish like it a little warmer, but it depends on what all else is in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom