Cory catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You need to have non abrasive substrate. I'd use sand or smooth gravel. How big is the tank

For corys to be comfortable, you need 4-6 min. Keep in mind a group of corys will not ease issues with over feeding. I would also suggest getting a microworm culture and feed them some worms daily. If you have smaller fish of any kind they will thank you to.

Don't put them in a small tank <5G unless they are Pygmy cories.

When they're happy they breed like rabbits.

They do not tolerate salt very well. A few sinking shrimp pellets dropped in right when you turn lights out makes them real happy also. +1 on Cynic's comment. My Julies seem to non stop spawn also. Very cool to watch their antics. OS.

Corydoras

Anything I need to know about cory's before I add them to my tank?

Hello Ben...

Corys are bottom feeders and are best fed toward evening when the tank lights go out.

They're foragers and need more tank space than most aquarium fish. I stock one for every 5 gallons of tank volume. Gives them a bit more swimming room.

Corys are very sensitive to changes in water conditions. I keep the water chemistry stable with large, regular water changes.

They are meat eaters. I feed a variety of frozen, it's most nutritious. Brine shrimp, Mysis shrimp, bloodworms, beef heart, plankton and krill. A little vegetable biscuit and minced garlic once a week or so.

Aquarium fish are generally small, with very small stomachs. They don't need much. I feed about twice a week. A little more if I have fry in the tank.

I follow these steps. I have some that are 5 years old and still very active.

B

Hello Ben...

Corys are bottom feeders and are best fed toward evening when the tank lights go out.

They're foragers and need more tank space than most aquarium fish. I stock one for every 5 gallons of tank volume. Gives them a bit more swimming room.

Corys are very sensitive to changes in water conditions. I keep the water chemistry stable with large, regular water changes.

They are meat eaters. I feed a variety of frozen, it's most nutritious. Brine shrimp, Mysis shrimp, bloodworms, beef heart, plankton and krill. A little vegetable biscuit and minced garlic once a week or so.

Aquarium fish are generally small, with very small stomachs. They don't need much. I feed about twice a week. A little more if I have fry in the tank.

I follow these steps. I have some that are 5 years old and still very active.

B
I am going to put 3 in the tank (10 gallon) is that Okay? I have a lot of hiding places. Also, the fish I have in the tank right now, are 3 male guppies.

Keeping Corydoras

I have smooth gravel. And I have a 10 gallon tank

Hello again Ben...

That's a very small tank for foragers, like Corys that thrive in larger tanks. A small tank is a challenge to keep clean too. I don't keep even small species of this fish in less than a 30 G tank. The smaller species like Pygmies and Pandas will adapt to cramped conditions, but they'll do better in a shoal of several of their own kind and a small tank just doesn't give them much room to forage.

You'll have more success with very small fish like, Tetras, Rasboras, Danios and White Clouds. I would pass on the Corydoras, but that's just my opinion. You're the "waterkeeper".

B

Don't put them in a small tank <5G unless they are Pygmy cories.

When they're happy they breed like rabbits.

Is it possible to determine the sex of the Cory? I have a pair, but thus far no kitten-fish...

Hmm...I don't know if that's going to help me any. I bought mine at different times, and they have different patterns (so I'm assuming different species within the genus). I suppose if they mate, they mate, if not, no biggie.

As an aside, I just read the wikipedia article on how they mate. Interesting....

Sexing Corydoras

Is it possible to determine the sex of the Cory? I have a pair, but thus far no kitten-fish...

Hello d...

Hard to tell the difference, especially with the small species. Generally though, the females are larger and rounder.

B

Sexing Corys

Pretty hard since lifting their tails don't work. LOL Only way is the females are a bit fuller around the middle. No tell tale marking difference. I think this is true for all the species. Here's a couple of pics of my Julies. One is just as they embrace. At this moment she slides out an eggs and he releases his milt. The second shows how she clasps her egg in her fins as she looks for a place to put it. It's awesome to watch. OS.

Attachments

• DSCF0992.jpg
    DSCF0992.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0993.jpg
    DSCF0993.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 69
I have had 5 in a 10g, and they were alone and loved it. I had more Cory fry than I knew what to do with but luckily I was friends with the owners of a pet store. It may not be recommended for 5, but they were very happy and 3 should do fine. Sexing them is harder. The only way I could tell is the females were all around bigger than the males, and yes, a little more rounded in the middle.

I just picked this cory up today along with another peppered cory for my 20 gallon. Is this cory possibly a female?

Attachments

• image-817243160.jpg
    image-817243160.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 61
I plan on putting my two pygmys in my ten gallon and am also planing on get two more

Back
Top Bottom