cory cats as tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkos

Aquarium Advice Addict
Try some nice cory catfish for the 10 gallon. They do a good job as scavengers keeping things tidy and are peaceful and fun to watch. Really hardy too.

they keep things tidy until they start laying lots and lots of eggs, all over your glass and plants!

and if you think green-spot algae is hard to get off glass ... those eggs are put on with superglue!

Ack they do glmlell? What about pygmy cories? I'm planning on getting a few for my planted 10...maybe the dwarf gouramis and cardinals will find the eggs appetizing?

Heh and yeah, they sell angels pretty small at the lfs. They get big fast tho; got my first one at about silver dollar size a yr and a half ago. Hes now 3 1/2 inches tall not including all his fins which are HUGE.

I have had three cories in my tank for 7 months now and not a single egg has been layed. Cories generally like ot lay eggs when there is a sudden temp change, such as during water changes. But maybe I have all males? Who knows.

I'm not sure ... only owned that one cory ... haven't bought more for fear of eggs ;)

my scissor tail tetras didn't touch the eggs, neither did the platies (didn't have mollies at that time)

I now have a red tailed shark that does a good job scrounging around the bottom, but it is kind of aggressive.

NOTE:

I've split this topic from the one originally discussing angelfish, since catfish and angelfish aren't at all similar, but do go well together for the most part :)

I have 2 cories in my 10g and several in my 46g. They are great scavangers and cleaners. Very active and fun to watch. Not one egg in either of the tanks! I love all my corys!

How do you tell a male from a female? Or is it different with each species of cory?

I have yet to figure it out. Normally people get a group of them and get lucky that some are female and some are male.

Back
Top Bottom