Cory cats ok for our tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am wondering what to finish off my son's 55gal with. Right now he has 8 long finned gold danios and 6 congo tetras. The tank is one year old and very stable with a slightly acidic pH. I was thinking a school of cory cats would look great, but I know next to nothing about them other than the fact that they need to be in schools of 5 or more. I think 5 or 6 would be a good number.

i would also like to know how well they keep the tank clean? I have had to start over feeding slightly to get any food to the danios who have started to be bumped out by the larger tetras. Do the cories need anything other than the leftovers at the bottom of the tank? HHmmm what do they eat? I think it's time for research.

Cories should be fine in your tank. They are bottom feeders and they do a good job at grabbing the food that hits the bottom. I have Julis and Albinos in my 29 gal. and they are my favorite fish, quite active and fun to watch. I do occassionally drop in a few cat fish pellets just to give them some variety in thier diet.

Cories are great! You won't regret it :D They eat loads of things - bloodworms, catfish pellets, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, brine shrimp....the list goes on, as well as flakes.

i am having trouble deciding between them and a pleco..... i have a list of plecos i would like, but budget wise i think it would be another BN (i have a BN in my 55 and my son loves her!)

Go with the Cory's, they are super little fish, I have a group of Sterbai Cory's - cute as hell and they are slightly crazy at times.

You have space for both.
Also, cories are excellent scavengers, but it's good to make sure they get food too. You can buy sinking food for them, or feed blanched veggies. They will pretty much eat anything IME. Variety is good in any fish's diet.

Corys are my favorite fish!! They are fun, hardy and good company in any tank!! (in my opinion) they would sweep you home floors if they could!! But they help you on cleaning your tank and they eat almost anything. I have a school of 8 and recently found some tiny babys (5 I think) and I'm not an expert in breeding any kind of fish!!! I would recommended Cory's!!

Back
Top Bottom