cory food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
I guess this doesn't just apply to corys but I was curious if the proper way to feed with pellets is to soak them first?

GoneFishing said:
I guess this doesn't just apply to corys but I was curious if the proper way to feed with pellets is to soak them first?

Hi,

What type of pellets are you talking about? I feed my Cory catfish Hikari pellets, the ones that show the Cory catfish on the front. And for them I just drop them in the tank and they just pick at them. And you cory's are pretty much mature right? Or are they still younger?

I'm not sure what pellets I have (at work) ill look when I get home. My cory (lost 1 soon to add 2-3) is almost a year old.. I think about 1"-1.5" if size helps lol.. I usually just drop the pellets in and let it do its thing but if its wrong I want to correct it.

most pellets are designed to sink and then fall apart as they get wet. soaking them first will make them less likely to sink to the bottom, and will spread the food farther across the tank. This may be ok if your corys are lazy and you want them to work for their food, but they may not find all the pieces, and the pieces may find their way into your filters. Also, if you have any tank mates, they may eat most of the disintegrating pellet before it hits the bottom of the tank.

I would not recommend presoaking unless the instructions on your food recommend it.

Usually, the amount and quality of the prepackaged food is more important than the insertion of the food into the tank.

Here are the pellets.. which now leads me the next question.. I'm gonna get some GS this Saturday, will these pellets cause my cory to less with the shrimp? If you ask why I'm curiosity, the pellets are shrimp flavored :p

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110428_170249.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110428_170249.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 70
they will need more than just shrimp pellets, and shrimp pellets make a mess if you pre-soak them. A cory is a scavenger, and not a predator, I have never heard of one trying to eat a shrimp...play with it, or bully it, yes...but eat one?

try to get a sinking pellet of some kind besides just the shrimp pellets. Feed the shrimp pellets one night, and the other pellets another. I alternate between 5 different kinds of sinking foods for my school of corys.

ahh good to know! i will be looking into more pellets! maybe i should get different flake food too :p

Is there a way you can list the pellets you use? all I can find is the plan Hikari pellets lol.. I must be off my goolge game tonight

Back
Top Bottom