Cory help??!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrissa

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys looking to get a small school of cories... I am clueless when it comes to them.. Wondering which species is best or your preferred and why?? They will be in a 90 gal planted community tank.. Please advise :)

Hi guys looking to get a small school of cories... I am clueless when it comes to them.. Wondering which species is best or your preferred and why?? They will be in a 90 gal planted community tank.. Please advise :)

I love Sterbei Cory's :) you want at least 4-6 since they like to school. Sand substrate is good for them, it's easy on they're Barbels :) be sure to post pics once you get em :) I have peppered & emeral Cory's I love them :D Panda Cories are adorable too!

I love Sterbei Cory's :) you want at least 4-6 since they like to school. Sand substrate is good for them, it's easy on they're Barbels :) be sure to post pics once you get em :) I have peppered & emeral Cory's I love them :D Panda Cories are adorable too!

Peppered are GREAT. They are honestly really entertaining to watch if you have a school :) very energetic I would say. Can't go wrong with em :)

LOVE my sterbai. They are curious little things and bring life to my set up. In my opinion, i think sterbai's have the best color/Patterning. Every now and then you can catch them "blinking" their eyes. so fun to watch! I have a very small school of two (one names Sherlock, the other Watson... since they look like they're always snooping around for things) and they are like two peas in a pod. I even find them nuzzled up to each other when they take rests.

Since Sterbai tend to me one the smaller side of cories they are so cute! Plus they are very good at cleaning up the bottom of my tank!

Corydoras are amazing. If you want slightly bigger you can get Emerald Cories ( actually a Brochis species ) slightly larger and great color when they are happy. They are iridescent green
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=114
Planet Catfish has info on any Cory species you want to research. Great resource.

I'd say at least 6 of whatever you choose. More is better.

C. sterbai are a favorite with me as well. I'd have a group of 15 or 20 in a tank your size if I could.

For now I have dwarf species. C. habrosus and will add C. hastatus soon :) a club member of mine breeds Corydoras.

I love my albino cories. They're absolutey mental, so fun to watch. They play in the bubble stones and stuff all the time. :D

Skunk cories, Corydoras arcuatus. They're not as common as the cories already mentioned, but they are worth the search. I have found panda cories to be on the sensitive side; it's not uncommon to have a few die-offs the first couple of weeks. But after that initial period, they're good to go!

Whichever species you go with, ask the dealer what they're feeding the cories and continue feeding the same thing, then mix in new foods so they get a balanced diet.

David

Wow great guys thanks for the info!! Going to do some research I will let you know what I decide :)

Cory cats are great. Tough little guys with hilarious personalities. I would get them if for nothing other than pure entertainment. I have a thread in Aquaria Off-Topic that's Cory Cats Anonymous, and there are several stories of our cory cats causing us laughter and trouble. I have albino corys, and they're great. They play hide-and-seek with me, they cause all kinds of trouble for me. Get a good sized school of them and you'll have stories of your own to share with everyone. :D

Pandas All the way!! I also have a couple mystery because I got them at p-mart. They were the last ones and they gave them to me for a low price.
I have pandas, Zygatus, Pepper, Albino, Bronze. I love my pandas, I have 3 at the moment and they make me smile all day long. I love my peppers too, I talk baby talk to them all.
"Snuffle! Wag! Snuffle my little angels! Scurry! Oh, Scurry"
They come right up to the glass, and wag their whole back end. Get a BIG shoal and they go nuts! Panda's are smaller, active, like planted tanks. Nearly all species all like planted tanks, and you have it heavily enough planted and do regular water changes. They will breed naturally and you may have a couple survive they eat their eggs though.

I have 2 albino cories and 2 that was labeled green cories (I know they werent emeralds bc they had those 2) I plan on going back and gettin 2 peppered cories for sure.. So far thats all i have in my tank other then2 otos . My cories are so cute n I have already had some eggs scattered although they were eaten ..

I have 2 albino cories and 2 that was labeled green cories (I know they werent emeralds bc they had those 2) I plan on going back and gettin 2 peppered cories for sure.. So far thats all i have in my tank other then2 otos . My cories are so cute n I have already had some eggs scattered although they were eaten ..

Albinos are usually Albino Bronze Cories
Corydoras aeneus. So 4 may be same species, just 2 color morphs.

Personally I prefer a large group of same species. Mix and match isn't ideal to me.

I have habrosus now and will add hastatus later but each group will be 5-6 fish at least. I hope to get some babies , but mostly I love to watch them interact.

Otos also prefer groups if you have room. I have 4 Otos now.

Back
Top Bottom