Cory, Platies and Shrimp Pellets. *HELP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WingedGrace

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Whenever i put shrimp pellets in my tank my cories seem to ignore them most of the time and my platies will come in and just nibble on it until its gone. Was just wondering if this is normal or not or if i should feed my cories something else? It seems to take them awhile to eat it even when they do. They are Omega One Shrimp pellets and i've had my cories for about a day now.

Hi WingedGrace:

Platys like to graze so it doesn't surprise me that they follow the shrimp pellets down and nibble on them. If you've only had your cories for a day they probably haven't settled in yet, so I would say just watch them for awhile. Some cories like to eat after lights out, so you might try putting a pellet or two in the tank then for them. It's normal for cories to take longer to eat than other fish.

If they continue ignoring the shrimp pellets you might consider trying a sinking wafer or an algae wafer instead.

My cories love frozen bloodworms, so I usually treat them to some every ten days or so. In the interim they eat enough of the sinking wafers to stay healthy.

-Yorg

Whenever i put shrimp pellets in my tank my cories seem to ignore them most of the time and my platies will come in and just nibble on it until its gone. Was just wondering if this is normal or not or if i should feed my cories something else? It seems to take them awhile to eat it even when they do. They are Omega One Shrimp pellets and i've had my cories for about a day now.

Everybody in my tank loves the shrimp pellets! And I have a pretty good selection of fish, including Corys. That is probably the favorite. But I do use algae wafers, carnivore pellets, and bloodworms, along with a New Life Grow pellet and a few other tiny pelleted foods. No flakes at all. It seems to just get caught up in my overflow unit.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

New fish need time to settle in.
Mine eat a wide variety of food.
Frozen or live worms and Brine Shrimp are a favorite.

What species of Cory ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Everybody in my tank loves the shrimp pellets! And I have a pretty good selection of fish, including Corys. That is probably the favorite. But I do use algae wafers, carnivore pellets, and bloodworms, along with a New Life Grow pellet and a few other tiny pelleted foods. No flakes at all. It seems to just get caught up in my overflow unit.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You can turn your filter off when you feed. I do.

Alright. Thank you for all your replies. helps a lot and I think I will try a variety by using wafers as well.

I have The Peppered Cories

Here's a somewhat late response.... I was having the exact same issue with the Omega One pellets. I've spent the last several days trying soaking them different lengths of time before feeding. They tend to float, then get pestered by everyone except the corys. I've been turning down my filter and trying to go to the same corner with the pellets each day. Today I soaked the pellets for a good hour, then fed my fish and dropped the pellets into the corner. The corys made their way to the corner then literally sorta stared at the pellets. Then the other fish came in and started hitting the pellets and the pellets broke up, then the corys started eating the chips that broke off. I think those Omega one shrimp pellets are just a little too solid, the hour soak really helped.

Are they eating now? I work at a pet store with fish and IMO cory cats don't enjoy shrimp pellets as much as we think they do. I'd only feed about one pellet per 5 cory cats

I've never soaked mine. I fed them partly for my Shrimp and also for the Cories. My tank gets a wide variety of food. Frozen is a staple as well as flakes and pellets.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423016535.942514.jpg
The CRS on the right of the bowl is stealing the Shrimp pellet LOL !

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423016614.267142.jpgmy Otos started grabbing them.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423016688.655026.jpg
Otos and C habrosus competing

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423016811.632722.jpg
Dining together.

Back
Top Bottom