cory problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ltrain1203

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I've been having a problem with cory's in my tank. I have a 55 gallon freshwater community tank. I've had a spotted cory for about two years(he's ok). I had an albino cory for 1 year until he died 2 months ago. Since then, I've bought 4 cory's that have died in the past two months! They last for about 2 weeks, get weak, and then die! Everyone else in the tank is ok! There seems to be a problem in my tank that is affecting cory cat's only. What's up?? Has anyone heard of this happening? I'll list the important info below. Thanks so much for the help.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? all Cory Cats, they start to be listless, then stop eating, then start going belly-up and then they die
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? 0, 0, <30, 76 degrees, 7.5 ph
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 55 gallon/ three years
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. a Penguin dual bio wheel 330 and an aquaclear 50
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes? about 50 inches
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? two days ago/once every one and 1/2 weeks/ 10 gallons
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? float the bag for about 1 hour while adding small amounts of water to bag
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? no

are you buying these cories from the same store?

Are they very small when you get them (3/4" or so)

Do you have gravel or sand for a substrate?

Have you used Copper to treat for parasites before? (it tends to stay in the substrate)

I bought 3 from a local store, and then I bought 2 from another store. I was wrong in my first post (5 died :cry: ) Yes, they have all been pretty small when I get them. I have a gravel substrate, with some gravel made of rocks that are 5 times bigger than normal small gravel. I would say about 60-70% small gravel and 40-30% large gravel. I've never used Copper in this tank, but why? I know Cory's can be very sensitive to salt, but copper? Thanks Wizzard

Just trying to figure out what all could be at the bottom of your tank that a smaller fish could be susceptable to. (I know copper isn't an issue with cories, but enough of it can kill people, pretty sure it could harm any fish, hence the question)

Hmm, do you use any tablets in the tank and is the remaining 1 territiorial (tho I haven't heard of this with cories before)

Perhaps a cory expert could shed some light on this.

That's what I've been thinking too Wiz. There seems to be something on the bottom of the tank, but what??? I haven't used any tablets in the tank either (your talking about Parasite Tabs and stuff like that, right?) The only things I drop in the tank are Algae tabs and a couple of Shrimp tabs at night. The remaining Cory isn't territorial at all. He's real mellow, and I don't think he'd hurt a fly (if they could swim :mrgreen: ) Maybe my substrate is too big??? but then how did I keep the Albino Cory for three years? I just don't know!

Welcome to AA, ltrain1203.

I can't think of any obvious reason you're losing your corys.
Your water params seem OK, but I would have them doublechecked by your lfs in case your test kit is bad.
I was going to ask you what you've been feeding them. Some people just assume that corys live on gravel debris and fish poo, but that's not the case. However, you seem to be giving your corys a good varied diet of algae wafers and shrimp pellets.
Corys are the most peaceful fish I've ever seen, but are there any other tankmates that may be harassing them?
Do your corys seem to lose their mouth barbels before dying? Do their fins disintegrate?
I'm kind of stumped, but I will PM our resident cory expert and ask him to look at this thread.

Cory Problems

Hi. I'm checking this thread as requested. No obvious issues in your parameters. Any sign of hemmorage? Barbells seem intact? Has to be something in the substrate or possibly just not enough food. It's easy to under feed Corys, but hard to kill them. Real hard. Imported Corys have had problems the past 6 months or so as reported by some local lfs in my area. I would search for some vigorous looking, larger Corys that have been around awhile. I wish I could be of more help. I still think that it is either a food issue or lack of genetic vigor. I see you're in Chitown. There is a Cory guy there. One of the best in the hobby. If you want great Corys, LMK and I'll put you in touch with him. - Frank/Guppyman®

Cory Food

rubysoho said:
about how much food is the right amount for cories??
That's an impossible question to answer. It's important to observe your fish to make sure that they are actually getting to the food before their tankmates. I have a problem when I feed a tank of guppies making sure that enough get to the bottom for the Corys. I have to watch closely to see that a sufficient amount reaches them. Additionally, it takes them a minute or two to get a few worms in them and by then the rest of the worms are gone. It's not like you can say that a certain portion size is enough. It's how much they get to actually consume. Careful observation is the only way to assure that all the fish in your tank are getting what they need. - Frank/Guppyman®

THANKS FORTHE QUICK REPLY'S QTOFFER & GUPPYMAN. I haven't seen any harassing of the Cory's at all. One point you had is that they DID seem to lose their barbells. Is that from the gravel? Also, my Albino and two Agaszzi Cory's seemed to have reddish gills. I thought it might be gill flukes or some kind of parasite. I didn't catch the Albino or one Agaszzi in time, but I did treat the last Agaszzi with Jungle parasite tabs. That's what's driving me crazy because all the research I've done said it is very hard to kill Cory's! :evil: I would love to get in touch with your Cory guy in Chicago though. My wife and I love Cory's and we feel terrible about all the deaths. Thanks for the help and info.

I just thought of something else. Is treating Cory's with the Jungle parasite tabs or stuff like Coppersafe or Merecyn bad for Cory's?? I know they can't tolerate salt, but can they tolerate these meds.? Did I do the right thing with treating the one with parasite tabs?? thanks again

Cory Problems

ltrain1203 said:
One point you had is that they DID seem to lose their barbells. Is that from the gravel? - Quote edited by Guppyman®
Can be either a substrate or water quality issue.
Also, my Albino and two Agaszzi Cory's seemed to have reddish gills. I thought it might be gill flukes or some kind of parasite.
Could be that - or again - water quality.
I would love to get in touch with your Cory guy in Chicago though. Thanks for the help and info.
No problem. LM contact him to contact you. Rumour has it he's only breeding Zebra Plecos (L-046), now. I'll do it today. Living in Chicago though, I would think that there would be some high-end lfs where you could find some exceptional fish. Perhaps it's time for a field-trip. :) - Frank/Guppyman®

Meds

ltrain1203 said:
I just thought of something else. Is treating Cory's with the Jungle parasite tabs or stuff like Coppersafe or Merecyn bad for Cory's?? I know they can't tolerate salt, but can they tolerate these meds.? Did I do the right thing with treating the one with parasite tabs?? thanks again
I must admit to being clueless about most meds as I tend to never use them. Obviously, in a one, two or three tank set-up it makes sense to try to save a favorite fish. My arrangement precludes that. When we spot the first sign of any illness in any fish, I'm sad to say, we euthanize it, immediately. Can't risk it spreading across the fish room through cross-contamination. The only meds I use on very rare occasions is Melafix or Pimafix. We keep our illness rate extremely low by using formaldehyde as a prophylactic. BTW for expert Cory advice you can visit the best catfish site in existence: http://www.planetcatfish.com. Be sure to read the "sticky" before posting for illness assistance if you want quick, expert help. HTH. - Frank/Guppyman®

Corys can suffer damage to their barbels if the substrate is sharp. Fluorite and glass substrates are most often to blame. It sounds like you have gravel, tho, so I too would suspect water quality problems. I would suggest stepping up the gravel vacs. The substrate in my cory tank gets filthy alot faster than my other tanks bacause of the sinking food and the corys' wastes. I would have your water params double checked too.

As for the meds, I would think that corys would be more sensitive to them than most other fish because they are scaleless. Read the label and visit the manufacturer's website for directions for treating scaleless fish. I've used Melafix and Pimafix with my corys with no problems.

It's also possible that you got a batch of genetically weak fish. Inbreeding is rampant in the hobby, especially for high demand species like corys.

[center:5f4de1ed80] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, ltrain1203! :n00b: [/center:5f4de1ed80]

Wow! This is some help you've been getting!! I wish I had more to add, but it looks like all the bases have been covered!

Wow! Thanks so much for the incredible help everyone! I really appreciate you taking your time for us!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom