cory question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbites

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys.. my two cories are pretty timid.. and it's rare that I catch them eating.. do they primarily feed off the bottom at night? how can I be sure they are getting enough grub?

Bites

Well, some of my cory cats are very shy and are hardly ever seen, except after lights out. I have another kind that are not shy and busily root around on the gravel constantly.

All you can do is to put in some sinking wafers after lights out and hope for the best, LOL! You might consider getting a third or fourth, if you have room, since they are a schooling fish and really prefer to be in a gang, and might show themselves more if they are more comfortable.

Also, cories tend to be shy alone or in pairs...if you have them in 3's or more, they may be more outgoing and active.

I'd recommend getting 4 or keeping them in even numbers because I have heard from a few people that when they have cory cats in odd numbers, one gets left out and seems to become stressed and eventually dies! I don't know if this is proven to be true or not, but that is just what I've heard from a few people with some experience (not anyone from the lfs so I know I wasn't being sold more fish).

i've had three living happily together for 3 full years. they swarm all over algae wafers when i drop them in :D

edit: oh yea, mine are peppered cories

i have melaneus and pandas. the pandas dont care about the light but the melaneus are out about 1/2 the time of the pandas. it seems like the pandas kinda enjoy the light. like sun tanning :). lol i have another theory which is also not proven. lets say 5 for example. the 5 drift apart so now theres 2 and 3. the group of 2 will want to merge with the bigger group until they drift apart again.

They are not vegetarians but omnivores, so they should get regular fish food, in the form of whatever gets dropped and missed by other fish, and sinking pellets, in addition to algae wafers, though mine won't touch anything green, kinda like my kids, LOL!

I use both Hakari and Wardley's algea tablets along with shrimp pellets. The two algea pellets have a slight different base and I think that contributes to a more balanced diet. I feed my fish just before lights out and some times come back with a flash light to make sure they are eating and to check on my nocturnal fishes. I haven't seen my lace cats in a week but every once in a while one will swim by in the middle of the day or I'll see one hiding by their feeding spot.

As for your original question, If they arn't dead they are eating.

Corys also eally appreciate bits of fruit and veggie....and the fruits (and some vegiies) can really improve the colours of some species....I am waiting for someone to start marketing a fruit+veggie sinking tab.

Exactly, Toirtis! That would be excellent for our bottom feeding omnivores - hey, you busy? You could be rich!

TankGirl said:
Exactly, Toirtis! That would be excellent for our bottom feeding omnivores - hey, you busy? You could be rich!

Or at least famous. :p If I get a spare afternoon and start tinkering, I will let you know.

Back
Top Bottom