Cory Schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a recent bout with Ich in my tank. All seems ok now but had a few deaths along the way. I am down to one Corydoras sterbai and he seems very lonely. These were kind of a lucky find when I got them. The LFS has some Corydoras but no sterbai. If i got some others would they school together? or should I wait and hunt some more to see if I can find some sterbai? It is just hard to look at the one in the tank all alone.

It depends sometimes ive heard.. I just recently got a spotted cory and he schools with my emerald cats (( brochis splendens )) Its pretty funny, since the emeralds are alot bigger and look alot different.... but anyways! I guess its just different for the individual fish, mine does though..

I agree, the lone Cory may or may not school with another species but it wouldn't hurt at all to get some more for the tank. Out of four tanks that I have with Cories in them only one of them has them mixed and they all keep to their own species.

Bryan

The sterbai are a bit bigger than most cories. That is one of my concerns with getting a different type. I guess I should look a little harder and see if I can find any at a different LFS.

You might be able to find some on Aquabid or e-bay if you don't mind paying for the shipping.

The size of the Sterbai isn't an issue, different species of cories will get along peacefully.

Bryan

I think you should buy those other ones even if they arnt the same because i think that they would still go in a school together like tetras. 8)

liveaquaria.com has some, but then of course 25 bucks for shipping. I'm thinking of ordering some juli cories from them, I haven't been able to find them locally.

I had 2 VERY small albino corys for a couple months. I added a mid sized peppered cory and a large spotted cory to the tank. They all schooled together. It was kinda funny to me to see this BIG spotted cory jus following the TINY albinos everywhere they went in the tank. Like a little lost dog. It has been a couple months now and the big spotted spends most of his time sitting on the bottom at the back of the tank. I think he got comfortable and now just hangs out and waits for feeding time most of the time. He still schools sometimes, but likes to just sit most of the time. The peppered still schools with the 2 albino's all the time.

Ok. Thanks all. If I am unable to find any sterbai locally. I will go and get the others and keep my fingers crossed that they school together.

Back
Top Bottom