cory tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hypothetically am thinking about a tank that contains a ton of corys. What size would you need for, say, 15-20 corys?

It really depends on the species.

For 15-20 Dwarf species, you could easily have a 20 long. I wouldn't use a 10. For larger Cory species, you'd want a 30 or 40 L.

For 15 - 20 cories...hummm, a 20L is probably on the small side. I'd look for at least a 30L or so.

Be careful how you use the letter "L" we have people from all over the world here and 20 Liters is definitely not enough :silly:

Heh, seriously. It depends on the species. I would think a 20 Long would be enough for the 2" cory varieties. For the larger varieties a 33 Long or 30 Breeder would probably work for about 15 to 20. Since they are all bottom feeders, no need to have a tall tank.

Standard Aquarium Sizes

Both tend to be shorter than a standard aquarium, but a long will then to be longer across the front while a breeder will tend to have more length from front to back.

Yeah, I really don't recommends Breeders because they end up costing you a lot in tank stands. Long tanks are usually longer than the standard but made to fit the next size or two up in length. Even small breeder tanks need huge stands.

For example, a 33 Long or 40 Long fits on typical 55 gallon stand, but a 30 breeder and a 40 breeder (and also the less common 50 Gallon tank) would require a typical 65 gallon tank stand.

Also I don't recommend High tanks either because they are easier to tip over and break than hex tanks.

Of course if you are able to DIY your own stand this would reduce the cost of the stand. Breeders are so much nicer for planting and aquascaping because of the extra depth.

uh I need some clarification on dimension - or at least a standard statement.

Am I reading this right:
"breeder" and "long" tanks have the same approximate volumes as the 'regulation' tank?

the key difference being changes in length width and height?

so if I read and restate this right

breeders shallower top to bottom (height) but broader front to back (width)

while longs are same height but narrower front to back (width) while maintaining volume through greater length (side to side)???

both seem to be recommended for planted tanks as less intense light would be needed to penetrate to the bottom of a shallow (height) tank?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom