Cory Thumbs Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
What Cory is the best? I am looking to get 3 for my 46 gal. tank. I want the Cory's to get no larger than 3-4". I want a good bottom feeder. Petco has Green Cory's on sale today! (y)

I'm partial to the peppered and the pygmy, which is what I have. But I think the emerald are gorgeous.

Corydoras

What Cory is the best? I am looking to get 3 for my 46 gal. tank. I want the Cory's to get no larger than 3-4". I want a good bottom feeder. Petco has Green Cory's on sale today! (y)

Hello g...

There are at least 100 different species of Corys and they're all the best. I keep large numbers of these little guys in my planted "Livebearer" tanks and most don't get too large.

I like Pandas, Orange Saddles, Peppereds, Greens, Bronzes, Greys, Mels and Albinos.

They're all very peaceful, but don't keep fewer than five or six. I stock one for every five gallons of tank volume and that seems to work the best.

The best advice is to keep the water extremely clean. I remove and replace at least half the water in my tanks every week. This will keep the water chemistry stable and that's the most important requirement for a successful aquarium.

B

Peppered & Julii are my favourite :fish2:

Orange lasers are gorgeous, as are red lasers and green lasers. They are shoaling fish that do best in larger groups so I'd get 6.

Okay. I'd never heard of any kind of laser cory, so I Googled 'em. Wow. Amazing. They look like some kind of mechanical gizmos made out of gold by Hephaestus.

Now, where can I find one? I've never seen them around my parts.

You could order them. I got mine from The Wet Spot. Home. You could also ask your local shops if it's something they can order for you.

I picked up 3 emerald cories from my Petco on sale yesterday. I had one by itself and I know they're better in groups. They're having fun exploring.

I like the Pandas and the Sterba's. The Sterba's are pretty and do great if your temperature is warmer than 78 or so--they like it warm. The Pandas, I think, are the puppies of the cory world--all over the place, spastic puppies *rofl* My Peppereds seem positively stately compared to them. :D

I like the Sterbae, and Similis the best. As stated keep them in groups of at least 6 I keep about 10 of each. Use sand or very smooth, rounded gravel as their barbels can be damaged by rough gravel. Also keep the substrate very clean, they can be prone to bacterial infections from dirty substrate. They are not just scavengers. they need to be fed as individual fish not as a clean up crew eating leftovers. Just my personal observations;)

Back
Top Bottom