Corydora and breeding??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryldooley

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two cories and am not sure about there sex an if they will mate?

I just added java moss to the tank they're in and they went crazy digging in through it and looked so happy....

Then noticed this smaller one kid of shaking to my other Cory ... Are thy male and female?

Is that a breeding ritual?
Please help :) I'd love some babies if I can as I'm currently breeding cichlids and Guppy, this would be great!

Can't add picture as I reache my quotas but one is seriously plumper then the other. Both about 2 -2.5 " long and they are peppered.
Hope that helps. Thanks!

From what I have read (not from personal experience) it seems that females are plumper behind the pectoral fines, while males are widest at the fins. If they are male and female, then when breeding the male fertilizes the eggs as they are held between the females pelvic fins and then she moves them to her chosen breeding site. I've never seen it before so I'm not sure if that is what was happening or not. Here is a picture of the fins labeled, maybe that will help you decide if they where performing that ritual or not.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407557887.727645.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From what I have read (not from personal experience) it seems that females are plumper behind the pectoral fines, while males are widest at the fins. If they are male and female, then when breeding the male fertilizes the eggs as they are held between the females pelvic fins and then she moves them to her chosen breeding site. I've never seen it before so I'm not sure if that is what was happening or not. Here is a picture of the fins labeled, maybe that will help you decide if they where performing that ritual or not.View attachment 246105

According to this info I definitely have male and female. And thy were swimming belly to belly so maybe what's going on! Thank you for the information!! :)

Just checked and there are dozens of eggs all over the tank!! Yay! They must have needed the java moss. That's all that changed! So happy

Just checked and there are dozens of eggs all over the tank!! Yay! They must have needed the java moss. That's all that changed! So happy

Just curious what type of cories are they?

Sent from my LG-P659 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have pepper corys, the males dorsal will be much taller than the female. As well, the male is typically smaller.

They are peppered Cory's

Lucky you! Did you do anything in particular that may have triggered them to breed? I have some emerald green cories that I want to breed but haven't been able to do it.

Cories breed during the rainy season. If you do a water change and add slightly cooler water imitating rain. They may be enticed to breed:) it's super fun watching them lay the eggs right on the glass!!

Lucky you! Did you do anything in particular that may have triggered them to breed? I have some emerald green cories that I want to breed but haven't been able to do it.

I'm not sure! I adde a big chunk of java fern after I did a water change with slightly cooler water and I think that started the breeding. They stared hurrying into the fern and dancing all over the tank

I think it was a mixture of both additions. :) happy times!! Good luck with yours!

Thanks. Hopefully I can get them to spawn

Weird, I added java moss and my Cories started putting down eggs....hmmmmm

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree with the more plants + cooler water. I didn't add java moss to my tank but when I added a bunch of plants (places to lay eggs) they went nuts. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414512268.534364.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder why there is such a difference in the numbers of eggs. Mine only placed like 20 all over the tank ( that was 2 cories - I saw one of them carrying the eggs. This morning - too cool). My fish started to eat the eggs and my 5 year old started crying for the unborn babies :(. She is so sensitive :). So I quickly ( less than 5 mins this morning) grabbed the leaves with the eggs on them, placed them in a Tupperware container, added some fungal stuff, unconnected my airline to my big tank and hooked up an air stone, placed it in the container and added a tie to it ( from my bread ;). ) to slow the air down. What do you think? Not bad for throwing it together at the last minute. I hope they hatch, my daughter will be devastated if they don't.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414519050.382081.jpg

Nice! I've had them lay anywhere from ten to probably over fifty so I'm not sure what designates how many they drop. The set up looks good! I've tried to salvage some before but I never had an airstone so they got fungus. Tried some methylene blue and they sat for ten days unhatched so I assumed the ones I got weren't fertilized. I will keep trying!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom