corydoras habrosus in 20gal long.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am in the process of doing a c. habrosus 20gal. long. I'm not sure if i want a species only or put a pair of my gbr's in also.
This will be a first for me with this cory and I'd like some input from members that have or has had c. habrosus. My goal isn't necessarily to breed them but if that happens as an added bonus then great! I just wanna enjoy them and as always with my fish, make sure they thrive.
1. How many can i stock in a species only?
2. Water params?
3. Decor or recommendations for a biotope?
4. Any advise on the set-up at all is appreciated :)

In a 20 gallon you can have a school of 6 to 7 cories. Highly adaptable just keep nitrogenous wastes down. Any South American plant. Easy to care for.

You should use sand or fine gravel for the substrate so it doesn't cut the barbels...

The bioload isn't that big but the plants and other decor you amy want to add will displace alot of water.

A 20 long is 36 x 18deep x 12h right? I think 8 should be fine as long as you keep up with your water changes... The foot print is big enough for them.

I have four c. habrosus in a 6g fluval edge along with a betta and two CPDs. They are none worse for the grouping. Very small and very active. I certainly think you can have 8-10 in a twenty long.

Sweet. Finally someone who has some. Thanks for answering. I was told they're perfect for nano set ups like the 6gal fluval you have. Thanks so much for the info. So do you recommend them based on your experiences?

Cichlid Kid said:
No. I thought a 20 gal long was 30×12×12?

Yup your right sorry about that. They will still be fine though

Sweet. Finally someone who has some. Thanks for answering. I was told they're perfect for nano set ups like the 6gal fluval you have. Thanks so much for the info. So do you recommend them based on your experiences?

Absolutely.

the corydoras species as a whole are much the same as far a keeping them goes dont get discoraged that there arnt many people who are cirrently keeping that exact one. cair and water peramiters are the same as any other cory. thete are some more sensitive ut based on your past posts u do regular water changes and as long as u keep em up u wont have trouble

Yeah. Water quality isn't an issue. In my unplanted tanks I'm at 0/0/10-20. All my planted tanks are at 0 across the board.
I'd really like to include a pair of my gbr's in this 20gal. build but the one thing that kinda troubles me is the fact that my gbr's are used to 78°f and the only time that temp fluctuates is at water changes. Do you guys think a school of c. habrosus would be ok with that? I know from research that they inherently are used to cooler temps.

Stocking

Greetings. Having kept over 200 species of Corydoras, believe me when I tell you that if you can't keep 40 C. habrosus in a 20 USG tank, it's time to turn in your turkey baster. I currently keep C. habrosus and they are constant spawners. These fish barely reach a smidgen over one inch when full grown. Even if you are one of those old-timers that still follows the "one inch per gallon" rule, which has been outdated since the 50's and the advent of good filtration, you should be able to keep 20, no problem.

I keep 20 to 25 in a 10 USG tank for breeding and have never lost one. They be happy as clams. :)

Keeping 4, 6 or 8 of them in a 20 gallon tank is a waste of good tank space. Just my 2¢.

Cheers. - Frank

P.S. Water changes are a fish keepers best friend. The greater the frequency and volume, the more fish you can keep per tank - depending on the size and species, of course.

c_habrosus_0157_lr.jpg

Thanks everyone for their input.
I decided to go with 10-12 of the little guys in a biotopetype setting with a thin 1/2" sand substrate covered in seasoned oak leaves with roots and driftwood at the back of the tank. Also putting small bunches of java fern and hygrophila stricta here and there keeping some of the central area clear for swimming. Whatcha think???¿

Ok. I finished one 20long. I couldn't find any c. habrosus so i went with a few of my pandas and gbr juveniles.
What do you guys think?

IMG_20120708_222128.jpg

IMG_20120708_222137.jpg

IMG_20120708_222206.jpg

Back
Top Bottom