Corys!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie1234

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to buy corys and I know how they live in groups and everything else but what's the minimum group size possible for them to feel natural and comfortable??

I want to have as little as possible as long as they feel comfortable so they don't take up too much of the bioload in the tank so I can get some more fish in my 110L

Also is okay to mix it up?? Perhaps 4 Albino and 1 Julii or would the alone Cory feel neglected?

What Cory would you recommend along the lines of aesthetics as well as behaviour and looking after?

Most cory species are fairly easy to care for, and most prefer groups of 5 or more.
Albino corys are usually an albino strain of bronze corys. I don't think they would school well with Julii corys; or at least my cory species don't school together, even though they share a tank.
If you're looking for a small bio-load, Julii corys remain fairly small, as do pygmy corys, and both display all the fun antics that cory species are famous for.

Most cory species are fairly easy to care for, and most prefer groups of 5 or more.
Albino corys are usually an albino strain of bronze corys. I don't think they would school well with Julii corys; or at least my cory species don't school together, even though they share a tank.
If you're looking for a small bio-load, Julii corys remain fairly small, as do pygmy corys, and both display all the fun antics that cory species are famous for.

That's cool, thanks, I think it would be best to get all the same species but I'd like to have them looking different so they all stand out if that makes sense?

the albino variety tend to be of the Aeneus type. so if you want to mix it up you can get a couple of albinos and mix them with the standard type.
Five is kind of a recommended minimum. I think most people would say ten is a better number. more natural behavior
From my experience the albinos don't have as good eyesight and don't school as tightly with their normal brothers and sisters though they try haha. sometimes they accidentally just swim with a guppy for a few seconds lol
if you are worried about bioload i'd say try pygmy corys. I'm going to be getting some soon for a different tank and try them out.

also many people suggest a soft substrate so they won't damage their barbels like sand.
Good luck!

the albino variety tend to be of the Aeneus type. so if you want to mix it up you can get a couple of albinos and mix them with the standard type.
Five is kind of a recommended minimum. I think most people would say ten is a better number. more natural behavior
From my experience the albinos don't have as good eyesight and don't school as tightly with their normal brothers and sisters though they try haha. sometimes they accidentally just swim with a guppy for a few seconds lol
if you are worried about bioload i'd say try pygmy corys. I'm going to be getting some soon for a different tank and try them out.

also many people suggest a soft substrate so they won't damage their barbels like sand.
Good luck!

I've gone against mixing them. I have gone for 5 false Julii corys and I may possibly get two more in the future if it would benefit the school.

Back
Top Bottom