Corys - What to feed them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baldrick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I've got a freshwater 20 gallon tank with 6 Neons, 4 Zebra Danios, and 2 Peppered Corys (planning to add a couple more).

My question is, what type of pellet food is best for the Corys?

Thanks.

Not sure what is best for them, but I have veggie tablets that I throw in for my loaches, and my two cories settle in and chow down on those when no one else is nibbling. Otherwise, they are skimming the walls and the surfaces inside the tank, for leftovers I guess.

I also have tropical tabs (from TetraMin I believe) that are especially for bottom feeders. They like those too.

Mine eat both the Hikari Sinking Pellets specifically for bottom feeders as well as Algae wafers. They also like peas but they have to be on the soft side. They also eat any other foods (flakes, micropellets, etc) that the other fish miss.
Enjoy the cories - they're great !

I like to switch up the foods I give my cories so that they have a more varied diet. Mine love shrimp pellets and Hikari algae wafers. They also do a great job of cleaning up any flakes that my other fish miss. I figure that between those three foods their diet should be appropriate.

Good luck with your guys, I love my peppered cories!

Thanks everyone.

One of the reasons I asked was because I was concerned that they weren't getting enough food since the Danios and Neons scarf up almost everything before it can settle. Those Danios especially!

The only thing that might get past them are the Tetra granules, but I'm afraid they'll just settle down in the gravel out of reach to the Corys.

I'll try the pellets tomorrow.

Try some shrimp pellets. It will take them a few mins to expand so the danios shouldn't be able to eat them before they hit the bottom. I feed my cories shrimp pellets and spirulina wafers.

I do the tetramin tablets, algae wafers plus the one cichlid micro wafter that I got for the angels sinks slowly. That said...I also have danios who still try and eat all of the pellets too... but they don't dissolve quickly enough for the danios' attention spans! :D So this way I know the corys get some too.

The other think you can do is to soak some of the flake before releasing it into the tank - it'll sink fast and the cories should be able to get some.
And yes, mine like shrimp pellets also - forgot about those !

I sometimes go around and dig up small earthworms and they go crazy for em. I mean they push my 8" bichir'S around to get em. Most importantly, a variety of foods is whats best for them.

Feed them after lights out. The fish will be much less active and the cory's will get their fill. I feed my BN pleco and cory algae wafers and shrimp pellets about 30min after the lights turn off. By this time all of my barbs are "floating" face down in the tank and dreaming of bloodworms. :)The cory and BN also get to filter feed the flake food missed due to my PFS (which is a must if you have cory's IMO).

Back
Top Bottom