Cosidering Breeding in 20 Gallon Tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm considering getting a 20 gallon tall for the sole purpose of breeding something, but not sure what. I'm not looking to try to breed for features, really its just for fun. Would cull the fry, keep the best of the best and sell the rest to the LFSs and you guys. Not interested in live breeders. I thought of angels or rams. Any other suggestions? Also, what is the safest and most effective way to drop my pH from 7.6 to appropriate range for breeding rams or angels?

IMO angels would need a bigger tank to breed in. I'd stick with a pair of rams or maybe a pair of nannacara anomala? I don't recommend changing the PH at all- most fish can adapt to different PHs, and often breed in a wide range. I had anomalas breeding in my tap water, which has a ph of 7.6.

I hoped to get a group of Pillipine Blue Pinoys and have a couple pair off. I would move all the others out and it would just be the pair and a piece of slate. It would be interesting to me to see the variety of fry they would produce. Their ancestry I so diverse that they produce a variety of different young.

I would not do two angel in a twenty gallon, but that's just me. You could do rams, apistos, festivums, and keyholes.

I hoped to get a group of Pillipine Blue Pinoys and have a couple pair off. I would move all the others out and it would just be the pair and a piece of slate. It would be interesting to me to see the variety of fry they would produce. Their ancestry I so diverse that they produce a variety of different young.

Since just two might be too many, a group will almost definitely have fighting issues. What tank would you move the others to? Once angels pair up, they harass and fight with other angels, so I suggest only keeping one pair in the 20, if at all. You will want a few more tanks to raise fry in, since angels don't always take care of theirs. I suggest getting a 29 to keep only one pair of angles in, then using the 20 (and maybe getting a 10) to raise fry in.

That's a great tip. I was going to ask about a 29 gallon bow front. But I thought angels were pretty good parents. Is that wrong?

That's a great tip. I was going to ask about a 29 gallon bow front. But I thought angels were pretty good parents. Is that wrong?

They often eat the eggs, but sometimes they can be good parents. Its better to have different raising tanks so you can have different ages of fry separated. You will probably have issues if you leave the fry in their parents tank long term.

Back
Top Bottom