Could a Pleco be kept with dwarf puffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am contemplating doing my 20gallon as a dwarf puffer species tank, because I think they are fascinating and hilarious. But I also love Plecos (was considering a Clown Pleco). Could a Pleco (appropriate for a 20gallon of course) be kept with dwarf puffers, or would they probably nip at one too much? I figured since they are armored, and Otos can be kept with them...

Also, on the subject of dwarf puffers - if you wanted to try them in a community tank, is it wise to just have one as opposed to a few? Does the "one or many, not between" rule apply?

Thanks!

Dwarf puffers are brackish water fish; not many pleco's would be happy with the salty water they need to thrive. As for numbers, I'd say the
"one or many, not between"
would probably apply. They tend to be aggressive in a community tank, but I've never tried to keep more than one.

Not all dwarf puffers are brackish:

"Unlike the other puffers in this family, the Indian Dwarf requires freshwater with no salt content."

As long as you get some that are freshwater, it should be fine. Hope that helps.

Dwarf puffers (1" guys) are absolutely full freshwater fish. I have done quite a bit of research, and have noticed that there are a lot of misconceptions about freshwater puffers. I read somewhere that for every freshwater puffer, there is one person who says they are freshwater, three who say they are brackish and one who will say they're full marine. Not trying to be an ass, but trust me - they're freshwater.

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

Perhaps you were thinking of other small(ish) "freshwater" puffers, like a Figure Eight or a South American? Those require brackish conditions as they age, I believe.
Anyway, I've been researching all night, and it appears a Pleco with ample hiding would probably be just fine with DP's, as they're a lot bigger and generally nocturnal. So I guess I answered my own question. But I do have another, on the subject of snails -

If I wanted to feed my fish snails every once in a while for a treat, could I just grab some from a pet store and drop them in the tank? Would they reproduce? This would NOT be a daily diet, just a once in a while thing, as DP's do not require a regular diet of crustaceans (don't have an overgrown teeth problem).
Thanks!

If you can get largish snails to start with the may live to reproduce, but anything small enough will get munched in short order.

If yo udo get a pleco for your DP tank, be prepared for it to get ripped apart... as I understand it the types of fish they'll tolerate varies based on the individual, but often as they age they get much more aggressive vs. tankmates.
Yes they are much smaller then a pleco, but they can easily shread the pleco's fins in no time. Also, there's no hiding spot that pleco will be able to use the DP's won't be able to follow him into, so if they're set on going after him, they'll get him.

Back
Top Bottom