Could i add a ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my 40 gallon planted tank i have

10 glowlight tetras
5 hatchetfish
2 angels (one koi one platinum)
1 guppy (not a pernament fish..)
1 peacock eel
1 featherfin cat

I do a 25-35% every week, sometimes twice a week along with gravel vacs and algea scrubbing.

For filtration we have a biowheel 350 and are getting an AC 50. the perimeters are always 0,0,<20

I realize that were stocked (if not over), but would a ram work? Would i have to get rid of one angel? Or the catfish? (he will be too big someday anyways...)

Thanks, iv always wanted a ram!

If you get rid of the cat it may work. Rams take up the whole bottom of the tank IME and need space, so I think it may peacefully co-exist with Nu-Nu, although I don't know how it would do with Nu-Nu and Phineas. :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
If you get rid of the cat it may work. Rams take up the whole bottom of the tank IME and need space, so I think it may peacefully co-exist with Nu-Nu, although I don't know how it would do with Nu-Nu and Phineas. :)

Your right...nu-nu and phineas dont really mess with eachother because finny has a great cave, but i am afraid of what might happen when finny gets older! Saw some full grown syno cats and the lfs and wow! They look mean! And huge!

Do you think a ram would do ok with just the peacock? Oh can could i keep the 2nd angel?

Your right...nu-nu and phineas dont really mess with eachother because finny has a great cave, but i am afraid of what might happen when finny gets older! Saw some full grown syno cats and the lfs and wow! They look mean! And huge!

Do you think a ram would do ok with just the peacock? Oh can could i keep the 2nd angel?

I don't know much about syno cats, so I can't say.

Maybe, maybe not. Rams have a personality of their own, so it depends. You could try it, but have a back-up plan.

I don't know if you could keep the second angel. How are they doing now? The older they get the more mature they become, and the more of their real personality and true colors you will see. They may pair up, they may not and end up fighting to the death. It's all up to if you wanna risk it or not.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I don't know much about syno cats, so I can't say.

Maybe, maybe not. Rams have a personality of their own, so it depends. You could try it, but have a back-up plan.

I don't know if you could keep the second angel. How are they doing now? The older they get the more mature they become, and the more of their real personality and true colors you will see. They may pair up, they may not and end up fighting to the death. It's all up to if you wanna risk it or not.

In a perfect world i would get rid of the cat and the platinum (he is sometimes being chased by the other) and get maybe a pair of rams. But of course, my brother has to agree and he doesnt..

Gboy66 said:
In a perfect world i would get rid of the cat and the platinum (he is sometimes being chased by the other) and get maybe a pair of rams. But of course, my brother has to agree and he doesnt..

The feather fin cat is a gangster of a fish. I like him! Lol.

So should i maybe just get rid of finny for a ram? If i got rid of him could i get two german blues?

I agree that you have a lot going on in that tank already and IMO, adding a ram really wouldn't work out in the long run with your current stock. But hey, you guys can always save your money for another tank. ;)

absolutangel04 said:
I agree that you have a lot going on in that tank already and IMO, adding a ram really wouldn't work out in the long run with your current stock. But hey, you guys can always save your money for another tank. ;)

Hahah there is always another reason for another tank:D So even if the cat and one angel were gone it wouldnt work? I dont want to chance it:)

If you just had the one angel and the featherfin, IMO it could work. But, there are never guarantees. That sort of depends on how much space NuNu wants to be his when he grows up. It would depend on the exact personalities of the fish. But, if it was me, I might try it. :)

Back
Top Bottom