Could I do this with my male platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 10 gallon I have 3 platys, 1 male and 2 female. The male is always harassing the females to the point where they become inactive and sickly. When I separate the male, however, the two platys become significantly more active and happier.

I just got a 40 gallon tank and I'm using a lot of media and plants to cycle it. I have 6 danios I just put in there yesterday and they don't seem bothered by the new tank at all.

Could I possibly move the male out of the 10 and into the unfinished 40 gallon? It's still beginning the cycle but the danios seem fine and maybe I could cycle with the male platy as well?

I'd be careful, you're just starting to establish your nitrogen cycle, and the platy will produce a LOT of ammonia, could cause all the fish to receive permanent damage. If you do it, I would recommend checking levels at least twice a day and doing partial water changes to keep the ammonia levels in acceptable range.

I'd be careful, you're just starting to establish your nitrogen cycle, and the platy will produce a LOT of ammonia, could cause all the fish to receive permanent damage. If you do it, I would recommend checking levels at least twice a day and doing partial water changes to keep the ammonia levels in acceptable range.

Thanks. I will let you know about my decision

Thanks. I will let you know about my decision

Seems fine to me. People on this site make way to big of a deal about cycling. As long as you check your levels and do water changes when needed your fish will be fine!

Another thing, having fish producing waste in your tank will help you cycle other wise you have to add ammonia and I think your females would be happy.

It's always best to cycle a tank without fish, but I can understand why sometimes a different course will have to do. I'm assuming your danios are zebra danios, which fare better than other fish when cycling a tank. Platies are also somewhat forgiving, but don't let the ammonia go over .50. A 40-gallon is a good sized tank so I don't foresee an issue. As others have recommended, monitor the water parameters and feed conservatively until you're done cycling the tank. Thereafter introduce additional fish gradually. The live plants should help, but there's an acclimation period before they start using the nitrogen (not with all plants). Keep that in mind as you're cycling.

Good luck!

David

This is of course concluding there is only 7 fish in a 40 gallon tank

Well if your readings are .25 or less I would just do 5 gallons. If more bump it up to 10-15.

I agree with bud and vanimal. Depending on how quickly levels build up should determine how much water you replace. Every tank cycles at a diffrent rate imo.
Just keep testing parameters and keep an eye on your platy. He'll show signs of stress before the danio will.
Goodluck, >=))))(°>

He's hiding behind the filter. I doubt this has anything to do with the water quality since I just did a water change and the tank is only 2 days old, so maybe he's insecure or nervous? He's still moving his fins and everything, he's just staying in one place behind the filter

He's hiding behind the filter. I doubt this has anything to do with the water quality since I just did a water change and the tank is only 2 days old, so maybe he's insecure or nervous? He's still moving his fins and everything, he's just staying in one place behind the filter

He is most likely just getting used to the new tank. He may also be a bit scared, since the Zebra Danios are so active :lol: But at any rate, he should eventually come out and start acting normal.

He is most likely just getting used to the new tank. He may also be a bit scared, since the Zebra Danios are so active :lol: But at any rate, he should eventually come out and start acting normal.

Ha, yeah. He used to always bully the females, now he's getting a bit of his own medicine :)

I'll update you all later. Thanks for the help!

The male platy looks fine so far. However there is a much bigger problem: one of the danios has a strange white fungus type growing on his neck! It has definitely developed over the course of the last few hours since I've been watching them practically all day until the afternoon and didn't see this until I got back from my friends house.

I added a little aquarium salt which should help eliminate it and relieve the stress. The danio is less active and another one seems to be pecking at his neck every so often as if it were trying to eat off the fungus!

I am very scared and I pray to god this isn't contagious...

Back
Top Bottom