Could I get a German Blue Ram? :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, i have a 20H with:
4 x mollys
7 x rasboras
5 x juli corys

Id really love to get one, I've heard they're actually great community fish. Im hoping I can get one as my centerpiece, they're beautiful!

Thanks!

00youknowit00 said:
Okay, i have a 20H with:
4 x mollys
7 x rasboras
5 x juli corys

Id really love to get one, I've heard they're actually great community fish. Im hoping I can get one as my centerpiece, they're beautiful!

Thanks!

I dont think it will be a problem. GBRs arent very agressive. I have 1 with neon tetras and she doesnt bother them at all. But it may be an overstock.

I think it may too, if not really close. And that's what I heard, they weren't aggressive at all. Which is really the only reason I think it'll work.

00youknowit00 said:
I think it may too, if not really close. And that's what I heard, they weren't aggressive at all. Which is really the only reason I think it'll work.

Is your tank cycled? Also i just look up how many mollies should be in a 20 gal and i found out 12-15 can be in it. So i dont think itll be overstocked.

Yes its cycled, and I'm convinced I have a heck of a bb colony, I added 2 mollys and 7 rasboras at one time and my paramaters didn't even budge, I'm not worried about filtration, got plenty of it. And don't think I'll be overstocked. Just needed a second opinion:)

The problem may be a misunderstanding of a regular 20 gal compared to a 20 gal high. The surface area of a 20 gal high is less, which equates to less are for oxygen exchange.

I ran some quick numbers on AqAdvisor for you. Of course, this is recommended and we would need to know your filtration equipment and etc to get a better feel, but I find AqAdvisor a decently fair calculator.

Current Stocking Level:
AquStockImage.php

Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Molly, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Recommended temperature range: 77 - 77 F.
Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 11 - 15 dH.
Recommended water change schedule: 30% per week.

Projected Stocking Level:
AquStockImage.php

Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Molly, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
[SIZE=-1]=> 64.4 - 82.4F: Molly[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]=> 71.6 - 77F: Harlequin Rasbora[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]=> 77 - 82.4F: Julii Cory[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]=> 78.8 - 86F: German Blue Ram[/SIZE]
Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.
Recommended hardness range: 11 - 12 dH.
Recommended water change schedule: 33% per week.

All Molly quantity:
AquStockImage.php

Recommended temperature range: 64.4 - 82.4 F.
Recommended pH range: 7 - 8.2.
Recommended hardness range: 11 - 30 dH.
Recommended water change schedule: 49% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 28% per week)
Your aquarium stocking level is 141%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.

You said something about what filters, I have 2, aqueon quietflow 10's (I just doubled what it came with). And I do agree that getting a GBR would be pushing it. I do think its probably doable though.

4 mollies in a 20 gallon is alot!
they can grow up to 6 inches. And they have a high bioload.

I think you are fully stocked. I personally wouldn't add anymore fish.

I agree that you are stocked becasue mollies get decently sized and are active and messy. If you only had 2 mollies, I think you could have a single gbr, but not with your current stock.

Back
Top Bottom