Could I have done something?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matratzac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While I was feeding my goldies last night one of my white clouds tried to swallow a piece of food and it got stuck in his mouth... he couldnt chew it and just kinda stayed in the water and floated everywhere but didnt seem to be in any pain. I figured the water would eventually soften up the granule but I'm guessing it didnt because 10 minutes later after I walked the dogs he was dead at the bottom of the tank.
Was there anything I could have done in this situation?

You probably would have killed him trying to get it out. Don't beat yourself up over it, it happens unfortunately. But get a smaller food, or a flake food.

Alshain said:
You probably would have killed him trying to get it out. Don't beat yourself up over it, it happens unfortunately. But get a smaller food, or a flake food.

yea thats the weird thing, ive had all my white clouds for over 2 years now and never had any problems, if its a big chunk of food they just bite off little bits, chew it, chase down the rest of the big piece, and do it again.

Maybe this one got a little too excited, or was having an eating contest with one of the other fishes.

Yeah, I almost did that to one of my red eyes yesterday. I was cutting a rubberband off the bag for my new Angels and a peice broke and dropped in the tank. One tried to eat it and obviously that's nto going to work. I got him agitated so he'd spit it out, which worked.

one of my white clouds has done the same but without the fatality. he managed to spit out the chunk, but then went after it again and got himself in the same predicament. he eventually managed to swallow it. since then, i've made sure i've kept the food small. as long as you learn something from it, his death won't be in vain.

Back
Top Bottom