Couldn't resist.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

44Paps44

Aquarium Advice Activist
Saw this weird but very 'pretty' thing while at my LFS and had to get him/her. Very cool to see it hunting. My Neons have survived the Angel and the Rainbow but not sure they will be tough enough for this one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415113176708.jpg
    1415113176708.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 108
Neighbors

Rainbow Shark
Snakeskin Gourami
4 female Platys (will rehome two and add in a male to provide fry for the Angel and Leaf)
Gold Gourami (about to be rehomed, gets picked on by the Shark and Snakeskin too much for my liking)
Angel Fish
7 Neons/Cardinals (was 10 up until it's newest inhabitant)
5 Corys (2 panda, 2 peppered, albino)

56 Gallon Column, Aqueon 55/75 HOB Filter, Marineland LED Lighting....yadda yadda

thats a leaf fish. He will eat the neons, cardinals and anything else it can fit in it's mouth.
and they get bigger than anything else in your tank.
Interesting fish, but definitely the wrong purchase for your tank.
Didn't anyone at the lfs ask you what stock you already had?

thats a leaf fish. He will eat the neons, cardinals and anything else it can fit in it's mouth.
and they get bigger than anything else in your tank.
Interesting fish, but definitely the wrong purchase for your tank.
Didn't anyone at the lfs ask you what stock you already had?

This wasn't an impulse buy, saw it three weeks ago and ran home to the computer.

I'm not attached to the Neons (thus the Angel and Rainbow), surprised they've been able to stick it out this long, the three largests are all Neons and 1.5".

From my research, I've never seen them listed at more than 4" max. Most likely 3 in captivity. What size are you suggesting?

But data on them is spotty since everyone confuses them with the similar Gourami.

My other fish are almost all adult so I don't see them being in any danger.
Rainbow 5"
Snakeskin 5.5"
Platy's are huge 2" and fat
Gold is 4"
Angel is 4" top to bottom
Smallest Cory is 1" (albino)

Am I missing something?

update***

It seems the Leaf has opened up the predatory characteristics of my Angel. She (I'm assuming I'm knowledgable enough to sex her) won't attack the Leaf but will compete with it for feeder guppies. Before the leaf, I was able to add in small Neons or Cardinals and while she would show interest she would never go full on attack mode. Once they darted, she would lost interest because she knew flakes/pellets or something frozen was coming.

NOW, she is a different animal and go full stalk mode. Yesterday she tried to get a guppy who was swimming in the open at the top of tank. Guppy would see her coming and then dart away. Angel did something new and dropped down 12 inches or so into cover and then came at the guppy from underneath.

Works out for the Leaf though as when they dart away from the Angel, the Leaf is 'floating' nearby with the hoover vac waiting...

Very cool fish.

update***

It seems the Leaf has opened up the predatory characteristics of my Angel. She (I'm assuming I'm knowledgable enough to sex her) won't attack the Leaf but will compete with it for feeder guppies. Before the leaf, I was able to add in small Neons or Cardinals and while she would show interest she would never go full on attack mode. Once they darted, she would lost interest because she knew flakes/pellets or something frozen was coming.

NOW, she is a different animal and go full stalk mode. Yesterday she tried to get a guppy who was swimming in the open at the top of tank. Guppy would see her coming and then dart away. Angel did something new and dropped down 12 inches or so into cover and then came at the guppy from underneath.

Works out for the Leaf though as when they dart away from the Angel, the Leaf is 'floating' nearby with the hoover vac waiting...

Very cool fish.

So.... You are enjoying this kind of tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sure, any reason why I wouldn't or shouldn't? Are feeder guppies part of some unethical debate that I haven't been privy to?

Not that I know of. I was just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sure, any reason why I wouldn't or shouldn't? Are feeder guppies part of some unethical debate that I haven't been privy to?

Ooo testy;) I personally think it's pretty cool.. couldn't pull off that style tank though. My gf gets all bent out of shape when the rams go at it. You do know that there are some in this forum that would take offense to this style tank though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

lol not testy at all. Been lurking here for a few months now so I know the opinions come fast and furious. Have no issues absorbing knowledge when given.

I've heard 'this style' and 'this kind' of tank with no clarification so curious as to the meaning.

If that implies 'fighting' then not sure where that comes from as there is none that goes on (at the moment). Leaf is docile and wants to do nothing but hide in the leaves until it's time to hunt. Unless I provide 'feeders' there is nothing to hunt.

If predation is the issue, well.... Not much I can do to appease anyone unless they want to come train the Leaf to eat frozen.

I'd say "this style" refers to, in your case anyways, a predatory tank. I don't see yours as sinister or depraved though. I love sight fishing for large mouth bass, nothing cooler than a fish strike. Not like the you tube video of some feeding his 10" oscar feeder goldys in a 29 gallon tank.. I plan on having an oscar one day and raising Livebearers for treats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got it, thanks.

The Angel 'grew up' with Neons in the tank and never saw them as food. Well not it's only source of food, as I feed enough to where it wasn't worth the effort to chase them (she was lazy).

The Snakeskin won't bother live food at all. And the Rainbow just chases but never nips.

Have a Male Platy in there now and he mated with with the large female wthin 3 hours of being in the tank so there will be fry in the tank soon enough for the leaf. Only 'real' predator is the Leaf, I have no issue watching him be 'normal'.

Back
Top Bottom