Couple of different questions if any1 can help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlesgavin89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got a 35 gallon tank,about a year ago I bout 6 red fun tetra, 2 gourami and 4 female guppies. Which must've been pregnant because there's still new baby's to this. One question is idk if my stocking is over crowded now there must be 18 new fish and another 5 or 6 baby's
I lost a few along the way one gourami and 5 red fin and all the original guppies .
So now it's 1 gourami over 20 naw guppies and 1 red fin left
Am I overstocked ? I've been wanting to get new fish but idk fin should with all the babies.

Hi Charles , first of all, are you doing your water changes on at least a weekly basis ? And what are your ammonia , nitrite and nitrate levels. Although I don't keep guppies I believe that they give birth to live Frey. Which means that if you have at least one male and one female, your going to have a fresh batch of babies every few months. Which will lead to overstocking pretty quickly. Hope this helps.

Guppies are very good at creating more guppies. Take ALL of your guppies to a local fish shop. You might be able to get store credit for some of them. If you want guppies again, get males.

Kinda surprised the gourami isn't dealing with the fry, normally anything bigger than them will gladly grab a 'Happy meal' swimming by. It does sound like you have water issues though

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks to all the helped and
Yea I do by weekly water changes most time n check the levels be4 n after

And I got a spot for the fry to hang out away from the gourami
And I rly laughed out loud to the happy meal thg toad lol

Guppies are very good at creating more guppies. Take ALL of your guppies to a local fish shop. You might be able to get store credit for some of them. If you want guppies again, get males.

I kinda want to keep them they got cool colors so you think I shouldn't add anymore fish with the size of my tank ?

Each female will have a dozen or two fry every month. If you just keep them, they will become increasingly more inbred and prone to birth defects.

We have three females actively giving birth. We've decided to focus on specific colors, and I euthanized maybe 50 fry earlier today. We still have at least that many left, pooping so much. So much poop.

If you really enjoy the colors, I'd say rehome the females, and stick with males. They tend to have the best coloring and no babies to deal with. Either that or get something like my keyhole cichlid or similar to 'take care' of excess fry for you. Mine doesn't catch all of them but keeps the numbers manageable. Also see if you can't trade some in to your lfs as back up or to get your numbers down lower right away.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom