Couple Of Guppy Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samuel-Bennett

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry, I feel like I'm being a pain already.

I bought a couple of Guppies last week, the plan was to get more, I just wanted to know they'd be alright.

I was told they're peaceful fish yet they keep attacking the Mollies. There are 2 of them so they surround the molly yet it doesn't seem bothered, it doesn't swim off or try to defend itself, there are 5 mollies and the Guppies do it to them all. I keep checking though and there aren't any chunks out of the fins or anything, so are they biting them or just annoying them for the fun of it? they only do it to the Mollies.

Another question, I looked at the Guppies when I got them home and they seemed to be 2 males, they have that fin (can't remember what it's called) but today I've noticed they chase eachother, rub along each other, and one of them aims the fin at the other. Am I wrong about them both being male or are they just desperate for some females? I will be getting some more on Sunday anyway, I want to know they're females though.

I also read that getting females could also solve my first problem with the Mollies.

they will try and spawn with anything. 4-5 females would help but be ready for endless fry.

ok thanks, I don't mind the fry, I'll just leave them to swim in the tank and let the strongest ones survive, if I get too many I'll get rid, I'm planning on getting a bigger tank and keeping the smaller one anyway

I have 7 males in one tank together. They mostly chase eachother around and don't bother anyone else. I heard they're kind of nippy but don't really cause any harm. I think if you're going to get females you're supposed to have 3 females per one male because if there are too many males they'll drive the girls crazy. :)

I have 7 males in one tank together. They mostly chase eachother around and don't bother anyone else. I heard they're kind of nippy but don't really cause any harm. I think if you're going to get females you're supposed to have 3 females per one male because if there are too many males they'll drive the girls crazy. :)

Ok thanks, I did read that , I think at first I'll probably just get a couple though and see how it goes then add more.

I used to know a lot of this stuff years ago but it's been so long since I had fish I'm having to learn it all again lol

I can't remember the size, I worked it out but forgot, will do it again, it's small though, getting a bigger one though in the next week or so

Back
Top Bottom