couple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SarahM88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey there couple questions

1. My fish are eating my place. algae eaters tabs...I do not know if he is getting enough food. What can I do to help him out.

2. I set my tank up and wanted your thoughts and opinions please.

3. After looking at the tank picture should I add more water?

4. I feel my water looks a little cloudy.

****5. Can I use carbon ammonia filters to help rid the smell of fish tank in my room?

I cannot upload my tank picture****

Last edited:
hey there couple questions

1. My fish are eating my place. algae eaters tabs...I do not know if he is getting enough food. What can I do to help him out.

2. I set my tank up and wanted your thoughts and opinions please.

3. After looking at the tank picture should I add more water?

4. I feel my water looks a little cloudy.
I assume you meant to say your fish are eating your plants and that you're feeding your algae eaters food tabs. Keep in mind that in nature, there are no food tabs, so it's an algae eaters nature to constantly "graze" for food. It's best to follow the tab directions. Many fish that are herbivores or omnivorous like a nice fresh salad once in awhile no matter what kind of commercial food you give them. So munching on your plants is normal. It sounded like you meant to attach a pic, but it didn't come accross. As far as your tank looking a little cloudy, how long has the tank been set up and how often do you do partial water changes?

No I meant what I wrote.

I have a placeo I have been giving him algae tabs once a week to help him grow big a strong...My fish are eating his tabs....All my plants are plastic... I just want to know how I can steer them away from eating them or is there no way

I do water changes once a month, I was told doing it once a week was bad (pet smart) since all my fish were dying and becoming stressed out. I have had it set up February or March....hmmmm said my picture was uploaded let me try again.

Oh, you meant Pleco/Plecostomus. You could drop the wafer in at night. Unless you have plans on moving the pleco to a large tank, they (meaning Common Plecos) generally are NOT suited for smaller tanks. They generate a lot of waste and can get huge.
Most folks usually change water 1 or more times per week.

I gave up on them tabs for mine. All my fish would bloat up from eating off of just one. And my pleco wouldn't get much of it anyways. Get some real driftwood. They love it! Mine has grown a lot, just from the driftwood and the food that makes it to the bottom of the tank.

hey thanks

Yes..for the sake of me trying to spell it out and you having to decihper.

Oh yes I was warned lol...in about a year from now when I am out on my own my goal is to have a 40 gallon tank....I think I have a bit before he grows that big!!!

Great Idea Ill drop them in at night!

** he was sucking on one today...then the fish came and tried to nibble.

I am so scared to do weekly water changes...I did that in the past and once a week we would vacuum the crap off the floor and then change out the water...then I noticed my fish like stressed and most of them had died...I also blame the pet store I got them from (pet supplies plus).

I posted a picture of my tank....now that I figured out how to do it...

are you also able to tell me how high I should have the air stone set...

Thank you so much

PS.
Algae farmer that is interesting. Can you tell me more.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 66
Hey!

I only have a 10 gallon tank right now...Also where would I find drift wood?

No I meant what I wrote.

I have a placeo I have been giving him algae tabs once a week to help him grow big a strong...My fish are eating his tabs....All my plants are plastic... I just want to know how I can steer them away from eating them or is there no way
I'm sorry that I initially misunderstood. Fish will take advantage of any food that they perceive as edible. Plecos don't gulp there wafers instantly so other fish will take advantage. I saw another post where someone suggested dropping the wafer in at night after the lights are out...may be a good idea. Changing your water once a month is not enough. Especially since you have plastic plants that won't absorb some of the nitrates. Check your nitrate levels at least twice a week. Your nitrates should be less than 50 ppm. There are other chemicals that build up in the tank that we don't test for such as flouride. If we just top off evaporated water, flouride levels rise as flouride does not evaporate like chlorine. Water changes on a consistent basis will keep your water perameters safer for the fish. Your water may or may not be cloudy. Do you scrape the inside of your aquarium glass often? Protozoa can build up on the glass and create a cloudy appearance.

Hey

No i dont scrap the glass. Am I supposed too? My algae eater has been licking them.

Yea just dropped a tab in and he was eating it.

My levels get checked once a week and are always very good. I tried planta but my levels soared

No i dont scrap the glass. Am I supposed too? My algae eater has been licking them.

Yea just dropped a tab in and he was eating it.

My levels get checked once a week and are always very good. I tried planta but my levels soared
Aquarium glass gets acclimated protozoa that are microscopic, but their population builds up monthly that causes a light decrease through the glass making the water appear cloudy. I use a razor blade making sure I don't touch the silicone sealant in the corners. There are safer glass scrapers available at your local pet shop.

You can use a sponge. I use a nonscratch scotch sponge. The blue ones. But if algae builds up (usually too much light)then I use a razor blade.

You can use a sponge. I use a nonscratch scotch sponge. The blue ones. But if algae builds up (usually too much light)then I use a razor blade.
Just use the scratchy thin scrubbers only. Don't use the ones attached to sponges or sponges themselves. They are soft when you buy them without being wet because they are treated with a humectant that is toxic to fish.

Just use the scratchy thin scrubbers only. Don't use the ones attached to sponges or sponges themselves. They are soft when you buy them without being wet because they are treated with a humectant that is toxic to fish.
Awesome!

I have one more question. I feel my rock level ks to low. Thoughts?

What kind of filter do you have? You should definitely be doing at least weekly water changes, especially with the pleco in there. They create a lot of waste, and if it is a common pleco, they get over a foot long, a 40g tank won't be big enough for it :/ I'd take it back now while it's still young. It will only make your tank harder to take care of the bigger it gets. What other fish do you have in there?

Hey there! I use a filter that is up to 30 gallons. Aqueon 20.

Im not taking my fish back thats silly. I will eventually get a iffer tabk as he grows. He wont grow over night.

I got the wayer and color better and will do water changes once a week.

No offense, but what's silly is rejecting good advice from multiple people on a subject you seem to know very little about. Common plecos are fish that need big tanks, like 75g+, higher filtration will not save you in this situation. The tank doesn't even seem cycled. These fish are pets that you decided to bring into your home, they deserve to be cared for appropriately. Everyone here is trying to help. You are in an unfortunate situation that only knowledge, research and hard work will get you through. But by all means, continue as you are, it is your tank, and ultimately your time, energy and wallet that will be used in this endeavor.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom