Covering air pump with towel to dampen sound. Is it bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arenaranger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a few air pumps and while not loud per Se, they can be somewhat annoying.

I tried folding a towel up and gently laying it over the top in order to somewhat insulate and dampen the sound. It is still able to breathe but the sound has reduced quite a bit.

Is if bad to do this for any reason?

Have you tried running it with no attachments to see if any difference? I had one pretty loud as it was pushing against too much back pressure it seemed. Shifted the air stone and shortened the air hose seemed to help.

Using Air Pumps

I have a few air pumps and while not loud per Se, they can be somewhat annoying.

I tried folding a towel up and gently laying it over the top in order to somewhat insulate and dampen the sound. It is still able to breathe but the sound has reduced quite a bit.

Is if bad to do this for any reason?

Hello arena...

Just curious. Why are you using air pumps? If you're using them with air stones to aerate the tank, it's not needed with a standard filter system. The added oxygen several of these provide, will slow the growth of any aquarium plants you have.

B

Putting a towel on top of it could cause it's to overheat and maybe even catch fire, years ago I used to use air pumps and used to make a little box with air holes and with no bottom which you just place it over the top of the pump which muffles it.

Hello arena...

Just curious. Why are you using air pumps? If you're using them with air stones to aerate the tank, it's not needed with a standard filter system. The added oxygen several of these provide, will slow the growth of any aquarium plants you have.

B
Hi BBradbury,

I am using air pumps for two reasons. A little while ago I actually removed the air pump. Not long after that I had fish gasping etc. and checked my water parameters. I was expecting a high ammonia spike since I had just disassembled my eheim canister for cleaning. It turned out that my nitrate was at good levels and ammonia and nitrite were both reading zero. So I dug deeper to find the cause and contacted my local big als and after speaking with the manager, he suggested that it could be, not enough water agitation and whatever it is that stems from that (if anyone can answer what that causes please let me know). I started up my air pump again and literally within a half hour the fish were in great shape.

So I am using air pumps in order to agitate the water for the gas exchange and for aesthetics.

What is it that happens when there isn't enough water agitation at the top?

That is a little odd. As I understand it, the water movement at surface is just to help the water/air gas exchange. Air bubblers don't do much (although I think they look nice).

Is there much difference in water flow with the air pumps on or off?

That is a little odd. As I understand it, the water movement at surface is just to help the water/air gas exchange. Air bubblers don't do much (although I think they look nice).

Is there much difference in water flow with the air pumps on or off?

Delapool,

I wouldn't say that there is a lot more water circulation but I would say the is a lot more surface agitation. I was running a eheim canister only at the time and the spray bar is located about an inch under the water and angled down somewhat so without the air pump running there was VERY little actual surface agitation.

Delapool,

I wouldn't say that there is a lot more water circulation but I would say the is a lot more surface agitation. I was running a eheim canister only at the time and the spray bar is located about an inch under the water and angled down somewhat so without the air pump running there was VERY little actual surface agitation.

Hmm, interesting. I do the same, the spray bar is below water level to keep the noise down but I have it angled up to agitate the water - darn, can't think of the word, like bubble but no air. You could try that, just rotate the spray bar around.

I think I will try that. You are the second person in two days that has said they do that. One of the staff at the LFS said he does the same. Sounds like it is worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom