CPD Owners - Feeding and General Behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stooker

Aquarium Advice Activist
CPD owners! I got a school of CPDs over a week ago and wondering if I'm feeding them right. Do they prefer floating or sinking food? I currently use floating and they are very hesitant to feed from the surface and sometimes wait until they start sinking. By then, most of the food is gone. Is this their preference, or because they are in new surroundings?

I've found that within a week or two, most fish become comfortable in their new aquarium and start to eat like crazy. Wondering if I need to give it more time or look into a different food.

Also, for general behavior, they are at the moment skittish and shy. They pretty much just hang out in the upper top left section of the aquarium and don't seem to want to explore the rest of the tank. There is a wall to the left of the tank, so they just huddle in that corner.

They are in a 20g high with two dwarf gourami and six peppered cory. They are extremely cautious of their tankmates. All the other fish are very comfortable in the tank, even the two gourami get along for the most part because of the plants and decorations available.

attachment.php

How many do you have?

Mine are crazy, all over the place and eat anything I feed.

Mine prefer frozen baby brine and small crustaceans/bugs like cyclops and daphnia. They will eat crushed up flake as well.. give them some time to settle in.. also provide some shade spots with floating plants like water lettuce, they appreciate a break from intense light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking about some floating plants as well to calm them down. Thanks for bringing that up.

They prefer heavily planted tanks. Your Gouramis are HUGE next to them, so I'm sure that is scary.

Mine have a black background and floating plants to help them feel secure, plus no large tank mates.

Mine prefer to feed midwater. They just started trying to eat from the surface.

I feed crushed flakes and micro pellets as well as frozen baby brine and cyclops.

Mine eat well and are fairly bold if I sit still. My friend has a group in a 20Long. No background, less tall plants and no floating plants. Hers hide constantly except to dart out to feed.

This is an old vid of mine eating frozen Baby Brine
http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool video! What are those stringy floating plants in the back? I agree the gourami prob intimidate them. I think they are still acclimating. The last few days I've noticed more playful behavior along them.

Thank you

Floating plants :
Amazon Frogbit
Duckweed

Old vid, the regulars here are prob very tired of it. But it's the best vid I've gotten of that tank. LOL

Following because I have 8 CPDs in QT. Appear to be finicky for now.

Following because I have 8 CPDs in QT. Appear to be finicky for now.

Cool, good luck with them! My are just overall skittish and shy, but slowly getting better. They're exploring more parts of the aquarium and don't seem so alarmed when a gourami or cory swims by anymore, but still have a ways to go.

Mine prefer frozen baby brine and small crustaceans/bugs like cyclops and daphnia. They will eat crushed up flake as well.. give them some time to settle in.. also provide some shade spots with floating plants like water lettuce, they appreciate a break from intense light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster, how do feed the daphnia or cyclops? Are those live foods? Or can you get them frozen or freeze dried? I'm new to this; just got 6 CPDs and 6 Pygmy corys for a 10 gallon planted, based on all the nice things I saw about them on this forum. They are all a little shy about eating still. Seems even the micro pellets are too big for them (babies still). Baby brine shrimp are the one thing I've seen them eat, would love some other options. Thanks!

Mine were very skittish and shy. Did better when there was only small calm fish in tank. Pygmy corys and green neons. They never surface fed. Fed them crushed high quality flake food, frozen baby brine shrimp song frozen cyclopese. They did surprise me with a batch of fry which was pretty cool.

Celestial pearl danio. A pretty fish great for smaller aquariums

My CPDs went from QT to main tank about a week ago. I'm thinking about moving them to my shrimp tank. Something quieter, calmer, subdued. They are currently with furcata rainbows and ember tetras. The CPDs are active but they do need to compete with the highly active furcatas for food.
The CPDs have been eating freeze dried tubifex worms and FD brine shrimp. Some NLS flakes. I see se picking at the moss growing along the back wall. They chase each other around the tank from time to time and pair off for a dance off.

It's been a few weeks and the CPDs are a lot more settled in. They are still a little shy but I guess that's how they are. I started feeding NLS .5mm sinking pellets and they are doing well with them. Now that they are more comfortable in the aquarium, they are getting most of the pellets before they hit bottom.

Back
Top Bottom