Crab question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
look in my profil for aquarium specs. I'm interested in getting a crab is this good for one? or what can i get to make it more interesting.

What kind of crab? Some of them need brackish water and access to land. They can also be Houdini like escape artists.

im not a huge expert on fish because this is my first aquarium
but i have a crab in my 30 gal
i have guppies, neons, mollies, gouramis ... community fish

the person at the store said the crab will attack n e thing that will fit in its claw. but ya i still go it, and he hasnt done n e thing to my fish. picks at the bottom all day. umm i think u should have a cave or somthing for him to hide in though, because crabs shed, and i didnt see my crab for 2 weeks, and under my cave was its skin (its kind of like a shell substance) but have a cave or shelter for him to hide in because he might get stressed...

O and have a top to your tank because he mite find a way out if u have floating plants..

The most commonly sold crabs are fiddler & red claws. They both need to be able to come out of the water and I believe they both do better in brackish water.

It's really best not to risk it, if you want crabs its best to go with an aquarium set up just for them, so they can have land access and brackish water. Also do you really want to risk your other fish's fins getting ripped up?

You culd try a red lobster, mine is doing well in my tank, it's leaving my parrots, tiger barbs and pleco alone. :)
Do watch it I have heard they can/will eat fish if they get a hold of them.

Other interesting things to put in a 30 are ADFs(African Dwarf Frogs) they are fully aquatic frogs and don't need any special requirement...I think. But you should make sure your frogs are getting something to eat.

my crab doesnt come up for air...
and he's still alive...
he is a brackish fish but i have him in a FW tank and he does fine

Maybe the crab can't get up for air, even though he seems fine he may not be. You are just using your eyes and inferring that he is fine, but there really is no technique to find if the crab is happy or not.The best thing to do is to try to recreate its natural habitat.

African Dwarf frogs do have special considerations tehy do best in a tank with only other dwarf frogs but can be housed with peaceful community fish in a tank no more than 16-18inches tall (12 inces tall is much better as they arent extremly strong swimmers.
they need to be provided with with their own food, fish flakes dont have teh nutrients they need
they need hiding areas mini terra cotta pots turned on their sides are good( you can also use the little terra cotta dish that comes with the pot as a place to put their food so they can easily find it.
avoid anythign that tehy might get trapped under their not very strong
http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id26.html

azn_fishy55 said:
In my opinion:How cruel. :evil:

honestly im not cruel to my animals...
but seriously i feel that he is fine in the tank.
i have floating plantts on the right side of my tank and ive seen him up there a few times.
and i know he is happy because he smiled at me yesterday

=)

i believe he's a fiddler crab
he is in a community fish environment too
and he is pretty big..
and no he hasnt touched one of my fish yet.

Back
Top Bottom