Crab tank.............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikedurrant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone got any ideas, especially with pics if possible on what I could do to my 3gallon tank to have only 2 crabs in there and nothing else?

Thought about having a sand beach but it seems difficult to put a filter in with a beach in a small tank. There's also the possibility of just having a few rocks above the water level and filling the tank half-full.

I would love to see some pics of crab-only set-ups, can't even find any on the net. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks

Mike :p

SW of FW? If you want a HOB you could get a lil Azoo palm filter to stick on the back. I have a 10G SW crab and mantis tank that just has some LR hanging around on the bottom and a 5-15 hob.

:)

I have a 70 gal with crabs, but you could do a similar setup. Check my gallery to get an idea.

2 crabs in a 3 gallon is, if I may say so, a horrendous idea!! :D :D Sorry to be so blunt! (Did you mean to say 30?)

Not only do crabs (I assume you mean fiddlers) get much larger than 1.5 inches(technical bioload for a 3 gallon...), but they also tend to be highly aggressive/territorial in a small space. 3 gallons is far too small. I wouldn't recommend 2 crabs in anything under 10/20 gallons... And in that case, they'd need some shelter.

Some ppl stack up rocks on one side of a tank and cover them with lots of gravel to made a "beach." You can also position slate at an angle to provide a leg-up for the crabs. Aquarium silicon would help you keep any of these in place...

madasafish said:
2 crabs in a 3 gallon is, if I may say so, a horrendous idea!! :D :D Sorry to be so blunt! (Did you mean to say 30?)

Not only do crabs (I assume you mean fiddlers) get much larger than 1.5 inches(technical bioload for a 3 gallon...).

Thought 3 inches was maximum for a 3gal tank, and they're red crabs I'll be putting in, not fiddlers. Red crabs should grow to somewhere between 1.5-2.0 inches, so shouldn't they be fine?

Anyone got any pics of a small crab tank preferably with a beach?

Thanks for replies,

Mike :p

Alright. I was tough on ya'. :wink:

Yes, that's right 3 inches is the max in a 3 gallon if it's completely full. Chances are your tank will be only about 1/2 full, though, if you're making a beach habitat. Meaning that your crabs (3-4 inches total) will be living with 1.5 or fewer gallons of water. Most crabs aren't particularly sensitive creatures, but a tank like that will crash (ammonia levels, pH etc.) very easily by virtue of its size.

I renew my concern about space, though. Custaceans need space, as they can be both fierce when their exoskeleton is in place and very vulnerable when it isn't.... Sorry for being a killjoy. :( You can take what you want to hear/read from what I've written, but I think others will agree with me on this...

Sorry I don't have any pertinent pix.

Ya, there weren't any crabs in at that point- those pics were taken while it was cycling. Also, the brown water was due to some red leaching out of the rocks when I first filled it. I guess I need to post some updated pics. :wink:

-J

I too would only reccomend one crab. I have two red claw crabs in a five gallon and they don't really like each other. Fortunatley one has decided to live on top in the filter and bio wheel area (I leave food on the filter for him) and the female has taken the tank. Again though, when they do get too close, they seem to fight. If I could do it over again, I would only buy one crab...

thanks for the replies, got it set up now and i'm gonna put 1 crab in. Anyone know what temps the red-crabs like? Does anyone know any decent links to info about them, it seems hard to find stuff about them on the web?

Cheers again,

Mike :D

Back
Top Bottom