Crabs in a freshwater community aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryans63

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know there are certain types of crabs that only get maybe a inch or so in size and i always liked them and i have a 55 gallon freshwater community aquarium and was curious if there is a certain crab that stays small, so as not to be big enough to eat the fish, or a crab that doesn't prey on fish with a certain diet that could be kept in a community tank, also that don't need a place to have to come out of the water, ones that could stay in a regular tank, i have a couple frogs that can because they swim to the top to get air then go back to the bottom and don't need a place to come out of the water and they are a small size, no bigger then a inch as a adult and was wondering if there is such a crab that would fit that, i like my fish but always wanted a crab or two just cause i like them and think it would look and be nice to have them in my tank, I am not very well schooled on fish, i just started my aquarium, my friend moved and gave it to me is why, so i am not sure about much. thanks for any help.

As far as I know all crabs are predatory to fish. Even crabs that are very small would go after your frogs which I assume are ADF's? I would consider getting a crab only tank if you want them, otherwise stick to the fish or take the fish to the lfs and see if they will take them and you can get the crabs instead. HTH.

My mate had some frogs and crabs in his tank.

The crabs would fight with each other from time to time, but he said that the frog was eaten, saw it first hand.
Also the crabs would just sit at the bottom and if a small enough fish swam close by they'd grab it with their pincers and have a ride on it! haha. I think they would've eaten or at least killed some fish if they done that but he never said and i didnt ask him.

Frogs and crabs dont mix tho, also many ppl have said that you practically have to put the frog food right next to it for it to see. My mate's frog constantly was in hiding aswell.

He is

Most of the smaller crabs that are readily available need access to land. The fiddler crabs and the red claw crabs, which petsmart and petco sell, won't live very long without land access. They are also great escape artists and will most likely find their way out of the tank.

if you want crabs in your tank be very very careful.

First, you must make sure all of your fish aren't real small.. Tetras, Danios, etc.. will all get grabbed by them as they are great hunters (I made a mistake of having them in my tank and they attacked my ADFs, and killed off two before the cichlids made short work of them)

Secondly, make sure your tank is completely closed. These guys like to escape, and there is nothing like a small crab running across your living room with your cats chasing it. (I saved him and ended up putting window screen stuff over the gaps in my hood.)

Hope this helps
-Thane

Back
Top Bottom