crabs/lobster in freshwater community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
My dad is insistent on me getting a little crab or lobster in my tank. I told him that it would probably not work to get one. He then said that he would even pay for it. So to make him happy, I'm wondering if there is any type of small crab or lobster that could peacefully live with tiger barbs, zebra danios, and a blue gourami. I don't think there is, I just want clarification.

Thanks in advance.

No I don't believe so... Most of the crabs and lobsters I know would need a shallower tank, and a lot of them are brackish water, not freshwater.

Does it have to be a lobster or crab? There's species of dwarf crayfish that could possibly work. Maybe a dwarf mexican orange crayfish or an electric blue crayfish. If not, you could always try shrimp.

Crabs, no. The only crabs that would not pose a threat to your fish, that are completely aquatic and freshwater, are thai micro crabs, and your fish would probably eat them.

"Lobsters" in the freshwater hobby are actually crayfish. Larger crays would pose a threat to your fish. Smaller crays like CPO's and cambarellus shufeldtii may work, but your gourami and barbs may eat them.

There's a guy in the classifieds selling snow crays at the moment, would probably grab one before its to late, it's like $24 shipped

Those are clarkii's, not a dwarf species. Combine with fish at your own risk.

Back
Top Bottom