Crack in NEW AQUARIUM! AH! help? (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, it's not so new. In fact its so old and musty; I was doing my friend a favor taking it from her. But she gave it to me, and anyways, I think it's a 15 gal. It came with all the essentials. Ladies, one way to get into a man's heart; is give them a complete fish tank. I was surprised to see aside from the dirt and a bit of mold, it wasn't cracked at all.

I was rinsing the rocks, decided to give the tank a rinse, and it hit it on a wall! I cursed. I cursed like never before. Right infront of my little sister. She didn't mind. She understood.

The crack isn't that big... I ran a test, filled it last night, checked it this morning, it only leaked about.. half a centimer.

What is that rubbery stuff the seal the sides of the tank with? Silicone? Something like that? Would that help at all?

But my question is, could using silicone (or what have you) seal it? Where can you get it? LFS?

thanks, any input, go for it.

Attachments

• picture-528_675.gif
    picture-528_675.gif
    201.3 KB · Views: 42
If there is actually a crack in the glass itself and not the seam, I wouldn't mess with it. Since its only a 15 gallon tank, toss it and get another one for 20 bucks or so.

If the seam is cracked, just take a razor blade and cut all the old silicon off, the reaply new "all glass" AQUARIUM silicone.

That crack has compromised the integrity of the tank. It WILL fail! there is no amount of silicone that will make it safe to use. Either trash it or get a new piece of glass and replace the broken one.

That being said, someone may contradict this and say you can seal it but I would not recommend doing so.

I agree, get a new tank instead (don't tell your friend, maybe she won't even notice you got a new one :wink: )
I wouldn't trust it for one bit........wouldn't want to end up coming home to 15 gals of water on the floor and dead fish over the place
JM2C

One other option that nobody has offered is you can get a piece of glass cut to fit inside the tank, and use an adhesive around the edges to stick it to the old glass, and then use aquarium sealant and seal all the edges.

Lonewolfblue said:
One other option that nobody has offered is you can get a piece of glass cut to fit inside the tank, and use an adhesive around the edges to stick it to the old glass, and then use aquarium sealant and seal all the edges.

touche'

Wolf has a great idea and for a larger tank I would say its a great idea. This is a 15 gallon tank just replace it, you are talking less than 20 dollars.

Yeah mon, you got all the expensive stuff already in the deal, no? Drop a couple greenbacks on a new tank and sleep well at night knowing your floor is gonna be dry and the fish are gonna be alive...

Yep, like the others say, get a new tank for fish, and either get rid of this one, or give it to some kid who wants to make a home for a pet lizard or pet frog.

Back
Top Bottom