Craigslist Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been scouring the wonderful place known as Craigslist lately looking for am upgrade tanks. I have found a 100g for $125 with a wrought iron stand and a 110g for $175 withal nice wooden stand with cabinets. Do any of these sound like good deals?

IMO I would take the one with the wooden stand I have never felt comfortable with a large tank on a iron stand I've never owned one for that reason. Wooden stands just seem more durable. As for the price, I'd take it seeing how I was looking on craigslist a month ago for a 55 and found one for 175, your getting double the tank for the same price.

butterfly_koi said:
IMO I would take the one with the wooden stand I have never felt comfortable with a large tank on a iron stand I've never owned one for that reason. Wooden stands just seem more durable. As for the price, I'd take it seeing how I was looking on craigslist a month ago for a 55 and found one for 175, your getting double the tank for the same price.

This was my reasoning too. I was originally going to get a 55 but then i found these so i figured if i can get twice as much space ffor the same amount, why not do it. One thing that IM concerned about though is lighting. Instead of getting a 60in fixture though, could i get 2 30in fixtures?

I would get the 110 with wood stand. But remember a larger tank will cost u more in filtration decor fish substrate exc. Also make 100% sure they don't leak. At that price they might leak.

I have been scouring the wonderful place known as Craigslist lately looking for am upgrade tanks. I have found a 100g for $125 with a wrought iron stand and a 110g for $175 withal nice wooden stand with cabinets. Do any of these sound like good deals?

If I found either of those in my neck of the woods for that price, I'd be checking them out. That's a good price if everything is in working order.

Mark388 said:
I would get the 110 with wood stand. But remember a larger tank will cost u more in filtration decor fish substrate exc. Also make 100% sure they don't leak. At that price they might leak.

There are many ways to get decor and substrate without breaking the bank but mark is right about the leaks that you have to watch out for. I bought my new 55 and 75 for $25 each but they both need to be resealed and doing that has been a pain in the neck.

Alright awesome. Can anyone amswer my lighting question? If i could put two 30in fixtures, what would be some suggestions on how to put them on the tank (ie: hang...)?

Build a hood and mount the lights to the top is the best way IMO

Possible. It would open the opportunity to expand your aquarium easier. If you need to have fans for more lighting or anything it will be easier.

Mark388 said:
Possible. It would open the opportunity to expand your aquarium easier. If you need to have fans for more lighting or anything it will be easier.

What do you think would be better to do?

A hood/canopy IMO would be the best way to go. You can mount the lights to the top of it will look nicer. It will also rid the need for glass or mesh covers to keep your fish from jumping out. It will allow you to add mor lights (LEDs blue glow night lights and others if you want). It can be made cheaply if your handy or for less than $100 by a pro.

Search DIY hood/canopies and I'm sure a few plans will come up.

I will be making one for my 100g this summer as a project.

Aaaaahhh. Soooo many options. I found a 100g acrylic tank and canister filter for $50. No stand but i have found a stand that might fit it for $40. What should i do?

Lighting all depends on what your doing. Are there going to be any plants? If not then you couple get any lighting that suites you. Just think about what your doing with the tank.

seekinghealth said:
Lighting all depends on what your doing. Are there going to be any plants? If not then you couple get any lighting that suites you. Just think about what your doing with the tank.

Well its going to be a planted so IM definitely getting t5's. IM more wondering that if i get two 30in ffixtures, how would i set them up. What about the 100g tank and filter for $90 though. What are your opinions on that one?

It's fine if the Stand is to big you might just have to reinforce the top to give the tank a place to sit properly

Mark388 said:
It's fine if the Stand is to big you might just have to reinforce the top to give the tank a place to sit properly

Alright awesome. IM getting a 100g tank with gravel, light, canister filter, and stand for $130. Yay!!!

Back
Top Bottom